Is anyone planning anything yet?

Network and share ideas with other students, get help with your course assignments, and talk about your experiences as an aspiring or working event planner.
Rach1980
Event Planner

Is anyone planning anything yet?

Unread post by Rach1980 »

Hi,
I just wondered, is anyone planning any events along side doing their course. Either for family/friends or professionally? What type of event are you doing? Hows it going?

I'm currently planning a baby shower for my sister. It's going well so far, she'll be finding out the gender of her baby on Friday, so the planning process can really start then. I've got ALOT of ideas to sort through.
I can't wait to see it all come together. It will also be the first entry into my portfolio, so I very excited and nervous all at the same time.

Would be good to hear what anyone else is doing.

Rach x
PaulineP
Event Planner

Re: Is anyone planning anything yet?

Unread post by PaulineP »

Hi Rach

Yes I am planning an event, my sons wedding for this Saturday. All is going well colours are hot pink, black, white and silver. I have made a Wish Tree for them, as they don't want any gifts and will be decorating a lace backdrop with fairy lights. I am also making the wedding dress, I should have it finished tomorrow.

I have had some experience in planning functions as I come from a large family and we have always done our own weddings, and parties.

Look forward to hearing how the baby shower goes, and I hope all goes well for your sister.

Pauline
Rach1980
Event Planner

Oooh luck you, I've yet to have the opportunity to plan a wedding but I can't wait for the time to come.. I did my own wedding about 10 years ago and it was great fun.
The colour scheme sounds gorgeous!!!

I hope it all comes together for you brilliantly on saturday, you must be very excited!
PaulineP
Event Planner

Wedding was beautiful. it came together well. simple but very elegant. When is your sisters baby shower.
Rach1980
Event Planner

Hi Pauline,

I'm so pleased for you that the wedding came together so well, you must have been so proud.

My sisters baby shower is the 28th July, her baby 'girl' is due on the 7th September, so won't be in the uncomfortable stage yet lol.

We're working on the theme and invites now and I want to get 'save the date' cards out very soon. So lots to do.

Rach
PaulineP
Event Planner

Hi Rach

Can't wait to see how thw baby shower goes, and i wish your sister all the best with bub. is this your first time as 'Aunty' or do you have nieces and nephews. If you want to run anything by me, just drop me a line.

Bye
Rach1980
Event Planner

Hi Pauline,

Thank you for your kind wishes for my sister. This will be my first time as an Aunty so it's all very exciting, I have 4 children of my own, so I have lots of advice to give lol.

Thank you for your offer of tips etc, I may well take you up on that at some point in the future. :)

Rach x
Juanita
Event Planner

Unread post by Juanita »

Hi All-

I just completed my Grandsons First Birthday Party! It was a blast and I currently use family and close friends to pratice on for bigger events. It was a Thomas and Friends Theme and found a lot of great deals on line and in stores to keep the children intertained, including an air bouncer. We did cupcakes instead of cakes which eleminted paper plates, forks and spoons. We had finger food for the children... it was fun and a huge success. Im currently working on a Baby Shower for my co-workers daughter-n-law... I hope everyone is having as much fun as I am. :)

Juanita
Linda
Event Planner

Unread post by Linda »

i planned a Kentucky derby party for myself and friends. everyone wore hats. i had a bet on our horse tree where folks bet $1 for a horse. i had a profile on all the horses for them to choose. i also had 10 traditions typed up and around the house for folks to read. traditions included roses, mint julep, twin spires, derby, the hats, 3 year old horses, the distance, first saturday in May, Old Kentucky Home song, burgoo stew.

then i had the different foods that folks eat at the derby which includes, burgoo, benedicts, sweet potatoe casserole, hot browns, derby pies and of course mint juleps.

had a few center pieces like red roses, hats and minature horses.

good luck to all. linda
Sincerely Heartfelt
Event Planner

Unread post by Sincerely Heartfelt »

Right now I am assisting with the planning of a wedding reception and I will also be there the day of the wedding to make sure things go smoothly. I will also be handling all of the vendors and giving them their payment and such when their portion of the evening is completed. It's so much fun!!!
lalovely
Event Planner

Unread post by lalovely »

I have done several events. Just did a graduation party which went Great! I am also doing a birthday party in a few weeks... Most of the events i have done are for family and friends but i am glad for the experience!
jrpenybryn
Event Planner

Unread post by jrpenybryn »

Hi, I'm planning every detail of my dad'd wedding to his partner. Am so nervous, as apart from mine I haven't done anything this big before. Trying to get suppliers to provide some discount has been difficult as well. Does anyone have any advice? many thanks x
sstaquino
Event Planner

Unread post by sstaquino »

I am in the midst of planning my own wedding validation (renewal of vows in church). It is a big task, but I am having the time of my life and getting experience in the process. Dealing with the church, reception hall, and vendors was scary at first, but I've got it now! My advice to anyone planning, is don't let anyone intimidate you, you are the boss, take the lead and if needed, ask for assistance. Most of all, have fun.
sofis
Event Planner

Unread post by sofis »

I did help a dear friend plan her late husband's wake. The circumstances was quite sad but organising the event, sourcing vendors and suppliers, co-ordinating all the activities and then decorating the hall on the day was all exciting and scary for me. It was all a success and very well attended.
Sincerely Heartfelt
Event Planner

Unread post by Sincerely Heartfelt »

Right now I am planning a mixed bachelorette party (both bride and groom's party together). I will also be planning their Bridal Shower. They are pretty small events but at the same time all good experience. :)
EP8727
Event Planner

Unread post by EP8727 »

i planned my wedding aug 4th 2012 it was fun and exciteding with everything along with that. and alot of money i also saved to i made my own flowers and center pieces.
EP8727
Event Planner

Unread post by EP8727 »

i planned my own wedding and i saved to by making my own flowers and center peices
jamilitia
Event Planner

Unread post by jamilitia »

YES I AM PLANNING ALSO CHECK ME OUT www.facebook.com/lachesignatureevents
Jummie
Event Planner

Unread post by Jummie »

I just completed a wedding fayre, it was a great event and i really worked hard to get the exhibitors sign up for the exhibition. Not many visitors attended ,i believe it has to do with being my first time.
midnightblue
Event Planner

Unread post by midnightblue »

I have been planning events for our office (going aways, birthdays), all of our department trainings, employee meetings, etc. The knowledge I have gained from this course is immeasurable. It has really been a boost. Someone higher up was assigned the task of our annual employee training for our department (300+) and I ended up having to do most of the work because she was clueless. Needless to say, it is back to me in the future.
midnightblue
Event Planner

Unread post by midnightblue »

midnightblue wrote:I have been planning events for our office (going aways, birthdays), all of our department trainings, employee meetings, etc. The knowledge I have gained from this course is immeasurable. It has really been a boost. Someone higher up was assigned the task of our annual employee training for our department (300+) and I ended up having to do most of the work because she was clueless. Needless to say, it is back to me in the future.
Since having posted this is August, I have had to plan several more huge meetings such as 300 people brought in over a 3 day period for training on a new computer program. I am in the midst of planning our all employee holiday party, our office holiday party, my daughter's graduation party (Masters in Education), all in a two week period. In the spring, we get to start planning her wedding, then we have an end of the year barbeque for our department (we operate a July-June calendar) then it starts all over again with the annual employee training for our department. Yes it is hectic!
Thushari11
Event Planner

Unread post by Thushari11 »

Hi Guys,

Hope you are all well, I'm new here and just finished my Unit A :D

I'm planning few things, I do events & Fundraising for a charity which supports people with learning disabilities, in North London and in the past few years I've been organising different things, right now I'm organizing a Fundraising Pub Quiz, than it will be Valentines day.
Moreover I'm organizing my friends wedding, which will be in Italy in August, we are behind decorations, seating plans, wedding dress, florists .... sooo much to do :o we are going to Italy to check the venue out in April, and finalize with the different suppliers.
there was a wedding dress sale show in Marble arch last Saturday, it was really cool experience, it reminded me an episode of Friends when the girls where going to find a dress for Monica, but wasn't that manic heheheeh :lol:

Moreover if any one is interested i also found this :
http://stylishevents.com/Uploads/Pages/ ... 202013.pdf
it's a workshop in wedding planning, I enrolled to go for the one on the 16th of Feb.
May be it could be interesting for some of you :D

Ok Ciao guys

T
love all parties
Event Planner

Unread post by love all parties »

Good luck to everyone who is activiely planning an event. I am presently planning my grand daughters 4th birthday SpongeBob theme I am so excited it is not my first event but they all excite me and make me nervous at the same time. :lol:
quality
Event Planner

Unread post by quality »

I planned my sisters wedding during the course which i thoroughly enjoyed and also my daughters 21st. I haven't really had any work from professionals although i have advertised my work, had leaflets printed and distributed. Can't think where i am going wrong.

Can anyone forward any advise on how to approach companies or anythin i am missing out on..thanx ;)