Volunteers??

Network and share ideas with other students, get help with your course assignments, and talk about your experiences as an aspiring or working event planner.
Kerrin413
Event Planner

Volunteers??

Unread postby Kerrin413 » November 30th, 2012, 11:23 am

Hello to my fellow event planners (or soon to be)... I need some advice.
I am planning a social party for a group of friends. I am doing this as myself, I am not a registered business yet.
I am hiring a caterer, DJ, and venue. I will need assistance with making party favors, registration tables, and passing Hor d'ourves.
Am I setting myself up for trouble asking for volunteers to assist with these tasks? If someone gets hurt, or something happens, they could come back and sue me?
Thanks for any advice you can provide me with.
SalemEvents
Event Planner

Re: Volunteers??

Unread postby SalemEvents » December 6th, 2012, 8:10 pm

Hm that is grey area. I have never had a problem using volunteers with personal events under 50 or so people but you should NEVER ask a volunteer to help with certain areas that REQUIRE a pro such as setting up complex equipment. If this is a public event I don't think this is a good idea at all especially since you can't even hand out food w/o a valid food handlers card (here in the States anyway) and you shouldn't be doing public events w/o a biz license and insurance.
SalemEvents
Event Planner

Unread postby SalemEvents » December 6th, 2012, 8:12 pm

Also you do run a similar risk of you guests as well. Use good judgment. Nothing too complex or something that should be handled by a pro. Nothing illegal. Nothing too risky.
Dare 2B FAB
Event Planner

Unread postby Dare 2B FAB » December 28th, 2012, 2:56 am

If you are planning an event for a group of friends, it really shouldnt be that stressful especially if these are people you know and who know you. Are you doing this just to have fun with your friends or have a friend asked for you to help plan a event for them? is the event goingg to be at your house or at a public location?

Do you have any family or friends that could help you? it doesnt seem like you need much help that would require professionals or would have you thinking someone might get injured. As far as making party favors, you can always call up a few girl friends to come over and help you. Sit in the living room, have some appetizers and wine and sit around and bond as they help you make favors.

do you have any teen relatives that could help you. Have them dress in black and white, it doesnt require skills to pass out appetizers. i wouldnt have minors passing out liquor but try to use people you are close to.

I hope everything works out for you. :D

Return to “Event Planning”