40th Birthday Surprise Cocktail Party - Need your opinion.

Network and share ideas with other students, get help with your course assignments, and talk about your experiences as an aspiring or working event planner.
amanoevents
Event Planner

40th Birthday Surprise Cocktail Party - Need your opinion.

Unread postby amanoevents » May 1st, 2013, 6:28 pm

Hi,

I'm hosting my husband's 40th surprise birthday party at a local restaurant. The theme is magic.I will have a magician come in and do close-up magic for guest for 45 minutes. And also have a fun birthday cake for him. The place will be all decorated in black, white and red with cards, dice and the ceiling will be covered in balloons.

I have rented one of their private room and will have an appetizer buffet.

My questions is:

The cost of the magician is $500 and the cost per person for food is $15.00 - I am having 40 guests.
The cost of drink can be very expensive, so I thought of giving each person 2 drink tickets. But, this is even very expensive, and I think offering only one ticket is tacky.

Do you think guests expect drinks to be covered by us?
It is a group of our closest friends and when Ive been to other birthday, we all pay individually for what we consume (even the food). But, i wanted his bday to be a little bit more special.

What are your thoughts?

How would you word your invitation?

Thank you!!!!!
Stacy-C
Event Planner

Re: 40th Birthday Surprise Cocktail Party - Need your opinio

Unread postby Stacy-C » May 2nd, 2013, 10:46 am

Everyone always says that not offering a host bar is tacky, but I disagree, I am a bartender who has worked many parties, weddings and what not and I never hear anyone complain about having to buy their own drinks.

Think about it this way, if you hold a party at home, don't most of your guests bring their own 6 packs, bottles of liquor? They surely don't expect you to feed them booze!

You're holding the party for your husband, the guest of honor, he shouldn't have to worry about paying for his drinks. However if you are worried one drink ticket for each guest (I think, anyway) should make them feel thankful enough.

Your theme is great, and so are your ideas.

The invitation... Maybe something with "abracadabra" "We DO have something up our sleeve!" Have fun with it. ;)
Rebekah
Event Planner

Unread postby Rebekah » May 3rd, 2013, 2:31 pm

Hi, my name is Becky!
My thoughts: I would have a special signature drink for all the guests. This would be for a special toast to your husband because the party is for him.
In addition, I would note this the invitation also, the guest would understand that the host bar would be available for purchase if those that want to drink.
amanoevents
Event Planner

Unread postby amanoevents » May 3rd, 2013, 3:52 pm

Thank you! Great ideas! I might have the restaurant come up with a martini drink and name it Abracadabra Martini and estate in the invitation that we'll have appetizers and welcome drink for everyone and that cash bar is available after that.

Thanks!

Any other thoughts are welcome! :-)

Tay
Tamz
Event Planner

Unread postby Tamz » May 6th, 2013, 8:05 pm

You also have the option of putting on a bar tab for non alcholic drinks only. This is much cheaper and shows that you are offering drinks but gives people the option of buying alcoholic if they prefer.
Ang818

Unread postby Ang818 » May 9th, 2013, 1:21 pm

I am not sure if you have hosted your party yet, as I am new to the school and forum, but I love your idea. I was thinking, if money permits, that it would be nice if you could grant him a wish by giving him a gift that you know he really, really wants or give him a "service" gift certificate for something he has always wanted. You can give it to the Magician and have the magician to tell him to thnk of a few things that he wants and the magician can promise to grant 1 of those wishes. It would be a good twist on the magic show and leave him with a memory he'll never forget.

I am interested in knowing how things turn out, please keep us updated :-)
amanoevents
Event Planner

Unread postby amanoevents » May 15th, 2013, 7:00 pm

Hi Ang818 -
I havent hosted the party yet - It's coming up quick on June 8th! Soo excited!
I love your idea, I just have to come up with something he really wants... its hard to find something for someone that seems to have everything... I'll think about it!
His mom just sent me pictures of him from his childhood and I will be integrating picture frames with a number on each and giving each table a list to "guess the age" as a group. I will treat the winning group to their shot of choice with the b-day boy for a B-day toast!
As for the drink ticket dilemma, I decided to have the bar quote me a punch bowl with a drink called "Abracadra" - this should last about 30-40 minutes, which is the time that guest will be there before we arrive for the surprise.
I think I want to decorate the punch with dry ice to give it a magic feel. :-)
I'll post picture of the event soon!
Thanks,
Tay

Return to “Event Planning”