Charging For 1st Wedding.. Help! lol

Discuss wedding planning with your peers and get help with your assignments.
Tamara Chanelle
Event Planner

Charging For 1st Wedding.. Help! lol

Unread postby Tamara Chanelle » December 23rd, 2013, 5:44 pm

Hi.. I've had some experience planning events and weddings but they were always with my mother. I planned one wedding before but it was a backyard kind of wedding with 20 guests. She was a relative and I didn't charge. My question is:

How much should i charge being new and all?... I mean i don't want to sell myself short, but i don't want to over charge either.

I would definitely start with an hourly rate.. i was thinking $50 - $75.

How many hours would it take to plan a wedding?
BuffeeAnn

Re: Charging For 1st Wedding.. Help! lol

Unread postby BuffeeAnn » February 10th, 2014, 10:21 am

Rate varies so greatly from city to city. Where are you located?

There are so many options as far as hours; it depends on what your client needs really. For partial planning it would be about 30-60 hours. For full planning it would be well over 100. Day of would be somewhere around 12 hours...it depends on you and each individual client. Keep in mind that the higher the guest count, the more time it will require.
denims24

Unread postby denims24 » September 20th, 2014, 5:26 pm

I read in one of the business books that you should always set the estimation hours higher than what you think it might be, so that way if it doesn't really take that long the client will be happier knowing she actually saved money than having to spend more. Hope this helps!!
vickievang

Unread postby vickievang » October 14th, 2014, 11:01 pm

The bigger question is what do you think you are worth? If you are confident in what you have learned and your previous hands on experience regardless of who you coordinated the event for, it was still practical experience. I would not go less than $75 per hour if your going with an hourly rate and as the customer to write you a letter of recommendation. That will hold it's weight in gold for your portfolio in the future business.
vickievang

Unread postby vickievang » October 14th, 2014, 11:02 pm

The bigger question is what do you think you are worth? If you are confident in what you have learned and your previous hands on experience regardless of who you coordinated the event for, it was still practical experience. I would not go less than $75 per hour if your going with an hourly rate and as the customer to write you a letter of recommendation. That will hold it's weight in gold for your portfolio in the future business.

Return to “Wedding Planning”