what do things cost near you (Curious)

Discuss wedding planning with your peers and get help with your assignments.
royalty designs
Event Planner

what do things cost near you (Curious)

Unread post by royalty designs »

how much do things cost in your area? I found that although I got an A on my assignments for Unit B, one of them my tutor suggested lowering or raising prices in certain areas of the budget assignment part of the unit. My question with the assignment was that things in my area tend to run more expensive in most areas (a few like the grooms attire being less expensive because most places rent vs sell). Id love to know what you all got for research on your prices for it out of curiosity. (I live in an area where people shop between New Haven (close to Yale University) and NYC so everywhere tends to have higher pricing for music, entertainment, rentals, etc.
just curious as to what you all found near you :)
ajordan09
Event Planner

Re: what do things cost near you (Curious)

Unread post by ajordan09 »

I agree. Things are definitely higher in cost than listed in the budget. I have found that getting a cake for $300 is almost impossible unless you're having a wedding for 50. I'd say the same regarding reception locations (Unit F) the cost in the assignment was much to low. Just moved from Virginia to California. L of my research was based out of Virginia
sstaquino
Event Planner

Unread post by sstaquino »

I am able to find things in my area for reasonable prices, because a lot of the venues include everything (catering, alcohol, DJ, and a host of decorations, etc.) except the cake. One venue is 8400.00 for 100-150 ppl. Another is around 4500.00 for 75-100 ppl. excludes everything except DJ, Photographer and cake.
EP8727
Event Planner

Unread post by EP8727 »

i just got marred about amonth ago and things wont that bad. dj was 600 cake was 800 i thing photogray lady over 1000 but she did really good job and everthing thing else was under 400 i live in minnesota
WP5111
Event Planner

Unread post by WP5111 »

Yes certain items in certain locations may cost more, but what I have found is there is someone, somewhere with better prices and quality. For example lets take the cake, I did my own wedding last year, I search different places and prices, for layer cake to feed a certain amount of people, remembering in that total, is the peice they save. Well I happen to be in my local grocery store which has a bakery, the catalogs, different icing, and found a wedding sheet cake, which feeds 90 people. it was pretty I chose my colors. Then I bought separate round cake, same icing, and a chocolate cake all totall les than houndred dollars. I beleive on my facebook I might still have a picturce.
SalemEvents
Event Planner

Unread post by SalemEvents »

I did run into a similar situation while doing this course. Sometimes I felt that the mock budgets in the course allotted WAY too much of the budget to one item and I found it difficult to find a vendor that expensive in my area while other times I found the allotted budget to be WAY too small and near impossible to find a vendor that cheap in my area.

I found (as I hope you are too) a GREAT variation in pricing in my own area and having budgets that were insane in the course work help me dig up some very interesting suppliers and vendors in my area that I was not already aware of.

If you are interested in a more realistic look at what things in different areas cost I found (after I had completed the course) an amazing wedding market research company that has some of it's information and tools online. It's fascinating the differences between what's in the book as compared to what's in my area. I kept hearing that my estimations were too cheap but this website shows that my area is below the national averages for wedding spending. If you are outside the US I apologize because I think this website only covers market research for the US. http://www.costofwedding.com/

Hope that helps.
Lisa Rumsey
Event Planner

Unread post by Lisa Rumsey »

Hi there

I found the same, i live in London, UK and the prices in the budget were far too low for my area. In some areas of the budget which i felt were too high for that specific item, whatever was left of the budget for one item, i put towards other items such as the dress/cars/cake. If there is money left over in the budget, either use it towards something the client really wants to stand out, put it towards the honeymoon or just dont spend it!

I have now submitted Unit F and very excited to be a qualified wedding and event planner.

Take a look at my website - works best on an ipad at the moment as some tweaking needed, all advice/comments good/bad most appreciated.

www.uniqueweddingsandeventsltd.co.uk

Good luck to you all!
Lisa
xx
:D
SalemEvents
Event Planner

Unread post by SalemEvents »

Cool site Lisa! I am very curious to hear about marketing ideas since that was the one area of this course I really felt was lacking a bit. Has your "special offer" on your main page brought you more business? I sometimes feel like I've hit a brick wall in my area for 2013 as a new business while 2014 seems to be getting a large number of interest from potential clients. I have tried a few promotions including a "marketing promotion" for couples willing to be featured in 2014 marketing materials. It almost seems to have the opposite effect and I get less emails from prospects. salemoregonevents.com
vickqqq
Event Planner

Unread post by vickqqq »

Hi, I'm planning for my own wedding and when researching for a cake - the cheapest I could find was about 300 for a one-tier cake for about 60 people.
I decided to go with a dessert buffet instead which cost me $1000 - includes a one-tier cake for mini size pieces for 80 guests; mini-sized cupcakes; mini-sized cakes like tiramisu and choc brownies; and macaroons. Each person gets 2 mini bite sizes from the cake; two mini cupcakes; one mini cake; and 2-3 macaroons each.
So pretty worth it I reckon.
I'm in Australia, Melbourne
JLynne93

Unread post by JLynne93 »

I found this too almost everything in my area or near me is really expensive and I can only find maybe one or companies in my area that provide the prices listed in the assignment. I live in rural part of Kentucky so most of the DJ's, photographers, and caterers come from out of town making the price even higher. The only thing that I can find for near the listed price in the budget is a cake and the a cake for $300 usually feeds only 50 to 100 people depending on the bakery. I figured eerything else out but matching prices of services for the prices listed in the budget is becoming almost impossible.