Ever Felt Blackballed or Bad-Mouthed by Another Wedding Pro?

Discuss wedding planning with your peers and get help with your assignments.
TsPooh

Ever Felt Blackballed or Bad-Mouthed by Another Wedding Pro?

Unread postby TsPooh » November 30th, 2016, 7:55 pm

I am a new event & wedding planner and am in a few Facebook groups where I can connect with brides. Every time I post something - either about my services or articles I've found on the internet with tips - another wedding planner posts something within 30 minutes of mine. The other day, I replied to a post from a bride seeking a planner, and she posted something right behind my reply to the effect that "brides need to be careful about which wedding professionals they sign with, as not all have legitimate businesses." And, a local photographer who apparently thinks she is also a wedding planner (she does NOT offer this as a service on her website) has a blog, and SHE also constantly posts things about "questions to ask a wedding planner". Just today, a bride was supposed to call me to possibly schedule a meeting for Friday to talk about me doing her day-of/month-of coordination -- and within minutes after I replied to this bride with my phone number -- and then she replied with the time she would call -- this photographer posted a reply to her that she private messaged this bride. THEN .. within 30 minutes, she posted a link to her blog page with the article on the questions to ask a wedding planner. I have had a bad feeling for several months that either she AND/OR the other wedding planner are blackballing me and badmouthing me -- or at least, instilling doubt in the brides' minds. I have no way of proving this of course - it's just a very bad gut feeling I have and I'm not sure what to do about it -- if anything.

The sad thing is, when I first launched my business, I had a bride who wanted my services for an October wedding but I was going to be out of state on vacation, so I actually referred her to this other wedding planner. And now, my gut tells me she and this photographer (and they are friends on FB too) are going around behind my posts and private messaging these brides to steer clear of me since I am new.

I guess I mostly just wanted to vent, but if anyone has ever experienced this or has advice, I would greatly appreciate it.
BHooper91

Re: Ever Felt Blackballed or Bad-Mouthed by Another Wedding Pro?

Unread postby BHooper91 » December 3rd, 2016, 1:49 am

Hi there!

I have a situation very similar to yours, as soon as i post anything whether it be a competition, a comment to a bride-to-be or a status on my facebook page, another local wedding planner posts several minutes later with something similar or even putting me and my business down in order to gain more business. My advice is to stay true to who you are, have confidence in your knowledge, your prices and what you have to offer, brides will come to you to work with YOU! It can be disheartening but just remember that being in this business takes creativity and imagination and if others are copying you, they clearly lack those two qualities. 'imitation is the highest form of flattery'

x

B
TsPooh

Unread postby TsPooh » December 3rd, 2016, 11:46 am

So I found out from the admin of a different Facebook group, but who is also a member of the group I got banned from -- that some other member of the group told that group's admins that I was publicly harassing brides and bad mouthing other vendors. NOT TRUE! Is having a "conversation" with a bride to answer questions or let her know that I am available to help relieve her stress and confusion, considered harassment? So, I am just trying to get over it, but I am quite upset. Now I worry that this other person (and I believe I know who it is) is destroying my reputation as a wedding planner before I even get my first client. On the other hand, I did just join the Association of Bridal Consultants, I am having a new website created and a new logo, and once I get new business cards, I am just going to make appointments with venues, caterers, etc., and get my name out there! Perserverance, right? (I'm TRYING not to worry that I'm ruined...)
Aimee.Dunn

Unread postby Aimee.Dunn » December 8th, 2016, 4:14 am

Wow! You know what, I'm not there yet but it sounds to me like you are doing something RIGHT. Don't give up, get your name out there. Clear the air! Visit as many vendors as you can, promote your name and your services. As to social Media, I would want to block and report these people on impulse, but that may increase the bad mouthing..hmm. However if you can liaise with people, get good recommendations, great reviews you can post them to your profiles and website which would help deafen those poor individuals, it's a shame they would want to bring you down. It really is.

Sadly this happens in EACH business. I've had to deal with people advertising the same services as our craft store back home, copying our techniques..etc etc RIGHT after posting on social media. Then complaining we are too expensive.

But I do wish you the best of luck! Maybe have fellow students write reviews for you? rate your page? --- might help the negative feedback. Let me know if I can help you.

Goodluck!!

Aimee
TsPooh

Unread postby TsPooh » December 15th, 2016, 12:40 pm

Thank you, Aimee Dunn. I am about to have a new website launch by year-end, so I am excited about that. I am on Facebook -- TLC Events and Weddings, LLC (look for my page in Dayton, Ohio) and my personal page is under Lori J. Bridges Osborne. Thanks for the encouraging words!
vickievang

Unread postby vickievang » June 12th, 2017, 4:41 pm

FB and other social media is tough. My suggestion is, build you a website. Put your packages you offer out there. Don't put pricing. When you see someone posting needing a planner, send them your link so that other wedding (wanna be) planners can see you are ligit! Never post anything to a bride cause you will get blackballed just post, "please see my PM to you" and send them a private message. The posting response I hate the worst, is the brides that are giving wedding planner advice. REALLY? You got married and you had a wedding planner of your own...give me a break.

If anyone wants to chat with me about these thing please feel free to msg me on my FB page at Victoria Vivian VanGordon or v.vangordon on Yahoo or KiK - vickievvv

Good luck to you all!

Return to “Wedding Planning”