Business start up questions

Get help with your staging assignments and get advice on setting up your business.
juliec

Business start up questions

Unread postby juliec » February 24th, 2014, 3:33 pm

Hi. New on here. Just getting ready to launch a biz but wondered what others out there do for furniture moving and hanging pictures? Do most stagers actually do the physical work themselves and ask that their client be there to help or do most people require the client to organize having people there to do the furniture moving etc. and we just direct them? This part worries me...I'm not a weakling but not sure I want to take this on either:)

Another question. If we do not do the actual moving or placing but stick to the directing and planning of the project are we still required to have insurance? Also, if we subcontracted (ie. movers or cleaners) and something breaks or goes missing would that fall on us since we contracted them? Or does that fall under the contracted companies insurance?

Thanks for any input!
juliec

Re: Business start up questions

Unread postby juliec » February 25th, 2014, 6:37 pm

Oh another question....any good recommendations for apps or software for staging/ interior design businesses?
kaytus

Unread postby kaytus » February 26th, 2014, 3:39 pm

I want to know2.
:D :D :D :D
outofthebox

Unread postby outofthebox » February 27th, 2014, 9:25 pm

Hello Juliec & kaytus, I'm actually not yet up and running myself yet (still completing the course actually), however, with regards to your questions... It is my understanding that Home Stagers can actually do this one of two ways (mostly depending vacant or occupied); if Vacant, you would most likely have to hang pics, ect. yourself. Most likely, I would assume you would rent the furniture - so they may actually place this in the home for you (if you need to re-arrange though, you would most likely have to do that yourself).
If Occupied, to my understanding you could either give your client a list of things to do and have them do the work, or you could contract the work out. I would make sure that you notify your client however, that you are doing this as well as let them know that this vendor is NOT a part of your company.
The Vendors you decide to work with - I would make sure that they are licensed and insured. Should something happen at your clients home, that would fall under the Vendors insurance...not yours.
What I plan to do is find a select group of vendors that I want to give business to, in turn, ask them to promote me as well to their other clients. Some may even offer special deals to your clients and in turn you could do the same for those that they refer to you.
Hope this info helps you both. :)
Talk with you soon.
Christine
Chamois

Unread postby Chamois » April 8th, 2014, 5:19 pm

Hi,

I wanted to pass on some information I learned from a mentor (I'm still taking the staging course, too. ;) )

She said that when a staging job requires additional help, sometimes she hires a moving company, a maid/housekeeping service, or a fellow home stager (within her staging association) to help with heavy items or tacking pictures to walls.

Take care and good luck with starting your business soon.

-Chamois
JJ

Unread postby JJ » May 25th, 2014, 10:19 am

You were asking a few questions about staging and the work that goes behind it.
I've seen it done both ways about the moving the furniture and placing pictures on walls.
When I was running my cleaning company in the past, I've seen Interior Decorators hire moving companies for all of the "heavy" items placing them where they want within the project. That company usually is a licensed and bonded company. Licensed (which you should have a copy of it) and bonded for any damage.

About the bond, you as well as the company that you hire should be bonded. This ensures that the homeowner's property is protected. If ever the company you've hired fails to renew or provide a bond, the responsibility is still YOURS. Be diligent in getting the proper insurance information before contracting with a company.

If the staging project is only one room, and you feel competent, you can place the items where you want them yourself. If the items are too big, you can hire yourself an "assistant" but make sure you have all of your insurance, bonding and workmans comp. responsibilities met first.
Hope this helps.
Good luck
Kenichi

Unread postby Kenichi » June 29th, 2015, 10:54 am

JJ,
Thanks for all the info as well. Good to know.

Return to “Home Staging”