Anyone from Toronto?

Get the latest updates from QC including new partnerships, course updates, and job opportunities.
Tricia
Event Planner

Anyone from Toronto?

Unread postby Tricia » May 1st, 2012, 8:30 pm

Hey!!

Anyone from the Toronto area new to the Event and Wedding Planning course? Just starting Unit B and I love it!!!
Last edited by Tricia on May 9th, 2012, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aerya
Event Planner

Re: Anyone from Toronto?

Unread postby Aerya » May 7th, 2012, 6:59 pm

Hi,

I'm not from Toronto, but from Ottawa, which I guess is somewhat close (closer than the UK at least! haha). I joined in 2009 but only started this week for real (got busy with events at work and my own wedding... so didn't feel like doing the course). I just submitted Unit A (Event and Wedding Planning) yesterday and am waiting for results before starting Unit B. How long did it take you to hear back when you submitted Unit A?

Take care!
Tricia
Event Planner

Unread postby Tricia » May 9th, 2012, 1:57 pm

Hi Aerya

Congrats on your wedding! It took about 3 weeks to get a reply as they lost my file somewhere in internet heaven. LOL

I'm on Unit B, assignment B5 right now and really enjoying the course. I'm also planning my first event ever!!! I was asked to plan a golf tournament for July. Excited and nervous at the same time.

How are you enjoying the course? Do you have much experience planning events?

Tricia
Ljc
Event Planner

Unread postby Ljc » May 9th, 2012, 4:15 pm

Hi there,

Congrats on starting the course. I am waiting for unit a to arrive, very excited, nervous & apprehensive at the same time.
Any pointers?
Thank you
Laura
Tricia
Event Planner

Unread postby Tricia » May 9th, 2012, 5:22 pm

Hi Laura

Yay! The waiting period is so exciting but starting the course is so much more rewarding. Read lesson texts (books) carefully and definitely use the course material for your assignments.

Good luck!!

Tricia
Aerya
Event Planner

Unread postby Aerya » May 9th, 2012, 8:30 pm

Laura: Just take the time that you need. There's no rush and you need to feel confident in the answers you provide. Confidence is definitely a big key to success when you are an event planner and selling your skills and knowledge.

Tricia: Ooh golf tournaments are interesting for sure! I just took a quick look at Unit B and it's getting serious and down to business haha Unit A is a good start to get the feel of the basics and I'm looking forward to the other units. In terms of other experience, I work with the federal government as an executive assistant, so I've had to organize a lot of events such as management retreats, town halls, various charity campaign events, tons of meetings, milestone meetings for big projects, awards hand-outs, luncheons, etc. Basically, I love event planning, but my job was so busy and forcing me to do all those events one after the other (without any fun aspects like cool invitations or creative decor) it was very boring and stressful so I didn't really feel like doing the course. Now that I'm on a break (different job assignment for a year) I can concentrate on the course and love every part of it. I'm still happy that I have this experience under my belt, but I needed a break. Also, wedding planning was amazing and I think I became addicted to looking for inspiration and different projects. :) Do you have experience planning events as well?
Tricia
Event Planner

Unread postby Tricia » May 10th, 2012, 6:50 pm

Hi Aerya

Sounds like like you'll breeze right through the course with your experience. I don't really have much experience besides planning family functions like birthday parties and barbecues here and there but I do enjoy the process leading up to the events. I can be really "anal" as my friends would say, so I think that really helps. lol

If there's anything I can do to help you out, I'm a quick email away!

Just sent Unit B assignments last night so movin on to Unit C!

Tricia
Sincerely Heartfelt
Event Planner

Unread postby Sincerely Heartfelt » May 16th, 2012, 11:55 am

I'm in Hamilton so I'm close to the GTA! I just enrolled and I am waiting for my materials to arrive for Unit A. I am super excited to get started!!!! I've been reading anything I can from the online student center lol.
Tricia
Event Planner

Unread postby Tricia » May 16th, 2012, 3:53 pm

Tricia
Event Planner

Unread postby Tricia » May 22nd, 2012, 10:24 am

Hi Aerya

How's it going so far with the course? I'm still waiting for results from Unit B assignment that was sent it 2 weeks ago...Ugh.

Talk soon
Tricia
Aerya
Event Planner

Unread postby Aerya » May 23rd, 2012, 9:40 am

Hey,

Yikes, that's a long time. I hope you're not waiting for results before starting Unit C. You could always come back on assignments to address comments before sending it in.

I'm on B3 right now... It took me forever to finish B1! I guess I'm too much of a perfectionist sometimes lol I'm enjoying it though. Plus my bookmarks in my browser are getting fuller haha

Aerya
Tricia
Event Planner

Unread postby Tricia » June 6th, 2012, 12:38 pm

Hi All

Just wanted to share some great news! I'm in the midst of planning my first golf tournament and have 4 weeks to go. Things are looking good so far. This experience has definitely helped my confidence in delegating and introducing myself to new people as an event planner.

Hope you're all feeling as pumped and excited as I am to finish the course and get out there!

Tricia
:D
vkalimbet
Makeup Artist

Unread postby vkalimbet » June 8th, 2012, 11:40 pm

Hi there. I am from Toronto. I am taking Master Makeup Professional course. I just want to do something beside my full time job. Hope to hear from you guys. Add me to facebook: Valeriya Kalimbet
Tricia
Event Planner

Unread postby Tricia » June 16th, 2012, 3:30 pm

Tricia
Event Planner

Unread postby Tricia » August 16th, 2012, 11:01 am

Finally started Unit F! So excited to finish the course and get out there full-time!

Return to “QC Event School General Discussion”