Social Media

Get the latest updates from QC including new partnerships, course updates, and job opportunities.
Matthew.Edm

Social Media

Unread postby Matthew.Edm » March 20th, 2015, 1:29 pm

Ok, I'm right in the middle of the course.
my friends/family think I need to get my social media pages started to get the word out.
I'm not ready to "start" my business yet but they think its ok, and to just stress that I'm a student and post things about events and weddings.. what do you guys think?
I'm on the fence myself...
JanetCurry

Re: Social Media

Unread postby JanetCurry » March 21st, 2015, 3:39 am

Hi Matthew.

I've been involved in the start up of a few businesses which included the use of social media. I've a couple of thoughts on this.....

I personally think it's important not to 'promote' a website or social media page until you're actually able to start taking bookings. By starting a business you are nurturing a brand and reputation. You don't want to lure people in only for them to be disappointed when they realise you're not ready or able to help.

That said, it doesn't mean you can't start up a website or social media page...just don't promote it yet as un-promoted, people are unlikely to find it.

So you may ask 'why bother?' Well, if you start up a website now, you've got more time to do lots of market reasearch and really figure out how you want your site to look. You've then got time to show it to friends and family and fine-tune it so its at its very best when you do finally launch and promote it.

As for social media, the same applies. You could start a page and start adding posts to it but just keep it to yourself. When you do launch and start promoting it, you'll have lots of historical posts for people to look at which in itself can promote the sense that you've been around for a while which in turns instills confidence in you and your company.

I hope that's helped a little and provided something to think about.

Best of luck.

Janet
Matthew.Edm

Unread postby Matthew.Edm » March 23rd, 2015, 11:55 am

Thanks so much for all this information, lots to think about that's for sure!

I can see the pros and cons of both.
Beata

Unread postby Beata » June 2nd, 2015, 1:37 am

Hi Matthew!

I have just completed my course, just today received my last grade! Whoohoo! :D

However, a few months I started writing a blog. Mainly about events and weddings, and now that I am interested in fashion and style, I thinking to write some posts on this fashion topic. And I mainly write what I like, and what I find interesting and original. All things about events, weddings and fashion. It's a good way to get out there and perhaps get noticed by some people.

I as well got Twitter account. And I find it to be a good tool, to follow other wedding planners, plus social media is a good way to reach out to professional planners, maybe one of them will be amazed by your blog and other work, and she might offer a little internship. As I don't feel myself as I am ready to start my own business, I am looking for every opportunity to land an internship and learn hands-on form people who have been doing this for years. You know what I mean?

But it's up to find what you want and what you think will be best for you.

Hope it helped a bit.

All the best in the future!

Beata

Return to “QC Event School General Discussion”