Finding a job

Get the latest updates from QC including new partnerships, course updates, and job opportunities.
bonnetdane

Finding a job

Unread postby bonnetdane » October 6th, 2015, 11:45 am

Hi , Im having difficulties finding a job in this field ... and I dont want to start my own business. How did you do it ? Im searching on the internet, I guess I cant find the right keywords ... and all I can find are jobs that require 1-2 years of experience , which I dont have.

I'd appreciate some tip, thanks in advance !
Fireflygal87

Re: Finding a job

Unread postby Fireflygal87 » October 22nd, 2015, 5:21 am

Hi Bonnetdane,

I think the key is to just keep applying for jobs, even if you think you have no chance because of experience. You never know who will give you a shot. And in the meantime, you could contact local venues to see if you can do work-shadowing or work experience with them at the weekends etc. I know it's unpaid, but similar to media/fashion/makeup, the only way to get experience is to offer services for free to build up a portfolio.

If you are wanting to build up more of a portfolio, it might be worth setting up a few events yourself. Even on a small scale, you get pictures from it.

I'm setting up on my own but am still working part-time in another job to pay the bills. I'm setting up events with my friends so I can get the shots.

Hope it all works out for you,

Fireflygal
barlow.amanda

Unread postby barlow.amanda » October 23rd, 2015, 11:43 am

Hi there!

I feel your pain even though I just started getting out there is a big fear I have too. I found looking at bed and breakfast type vendors are good or caterer types to find a job. Also for some reason surprisingly craigslist had plenty of jobs at least to help you get your foot in the door if you use the right keywords. What I plan to do (and I will be starting my own business) is get a job in the field (i.e bridal shops, florist or a craft store). I have found that these places give you excellent ideas for your events but also look good on your resume when you apply for a planner position because, it shows you have a sales, creativity and a general industry background. Now I do want to warn these places probably wont pay much but it's a start or at least a part time thing. For me my husband is in the Air Force so I tend to have a lot of free time now :lol: , so while looking into working at one of those places I have gotten an unpaid internship with an event planning company. This way when I finally finish my course work I will have a good amount of stuff under my belt that will hopefully help me out. Fireflygal87 is right though about creating a portfolio, you will probably need to do some events for free just to get started. Hope this helps! And good luck, keep your chin up!
RebeccaZ

Unread postby RebeccaZ » November 12th, 2015, 3:34 pm

I'd suggest offering services onlin on like craigslist or to friends and family for a low cost/free. This way you can get testimonials and photos that you can include in your portfolio or resume showing that you have real world experience in this field.

Return to “QC Event School General Discussion”