Setting up & studying at same time?

Get the latest updates from QC including new partnerships, course updates, and job opportunities.
HayleyField
Event Planner

Setting up & studying at same time?

Unread post by HayleyField »

Hi everyone,

I'm Hayley from Nottingham in the UK and I'm new (halfway through Unit A).

This will be a new-ish career for me as I'm currently an IT Project Manager, so essentially the same set of skills but instead of managing websites I hope to manage weddings!

Does anyone have any thoughts/experience on setting up a business and getting clients before you've actually finished the course? I think this is feasible for me as I do have experience of managing projects/clients/suppliers etc, but just wondered if anyone has taken this approach & can give any advice?

Thanks & good luck with your studies everyone!
Lisa Rumsey
Event Planner

Re: Setting up & studying at same time?

Unread post by Lisa Rumsey »

Hi

I am on Unit E and have already got my company set up, my website and Facebook and twitter pages. As the course has gone on I feel more confident and can't wait for my first client.

Good luck! X
moana
Event Planner

Unread post by moana »

Hi i started my wedding and event planner course last week and i am getting married next yr so im using this as first experience. I am from australia but my wedding will be in Vanuatu so this is giving me great hands on experience. Even though i have wedding co ordinators over there and i started planning my wedding in June i feel like this has really made me see that this is the career for me ..Maybe u have friends or family etc that might have an event coming up so u could do a trial run or try and get business off them. My friends daughter that i have known for many yrs is getting married in 2014 she hasnt set a date but has asked me to be her wedding planner. Of course i said yes, so i have got my first client one from watching me organise my own wedding and she also know s that i am doing this course its giving me great confidence so good luck and all the best i dear say we will be seeing each other on here often :)
HayleyField
Event Planner

Unread post by HayleyField »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the advice....it's all really useful!

I have a name for my company, I've bought a domain name, and set up Twitter & Facebook account but haven't published these yet as I want to have a clear idea of what I'm doing before I start advertising!

I will definitely look into doing a relative's or friend's event, it seems like a good way of gaining experience and also having some photo's to put in my portfolio!

I've also thought of maybe organising a speed dating event as these are fairly quick & simple to set up with minimum outlay, and also good for the portfolio?

Oh, and I've just finished assignment 3 today....only 4 more to go before I can submit the Unit A!

:D