Holiday Marketing Lull? HELP!

Get the latest updates from QC including new partnerships, course updates, and job opportunities.
SalemEvents
Event Planner

Holiday Marketing Lull? HELP!

Unread post by SalemEvents »

This does not appear to be a very active forum :( so this is just a shot in the dark here.

I have been planning events and weddings off an on for the past few years but didn't actually make a decision to take my wedding and event planning business seriously until about October of this year. I finished the QC IWEPP course back at the beginning of July and lost my day job in August so I decided to do some marketing and get going. I have since done some public events on my own at local bars but would REALLY like to make weddings my mainstay.

In the 4 weeks leading up to the US Thanksgiving (Nov 22) I was getting a solid 4 or 5 leads a week and setting 1 or 2 potential client meetings a week. I was getting really excited thinking that my business was FINALLY taking off. After Thanksgiving... NOTHING. I have had 1 email since them from a prospect and NO MEETINGS. All I can do is follow up on old prospects but no one seems to get back to me!

I don't think I have made any marketing changes other than doing SEO (Search Engine Optimization) on my website and getting it bumped up in the search rankings. How could that be bad?

I need to know from anyone who is also in the industry (perhaps for a couple years) is a lull this time of year normal or should I worry? Is this just a normal lull before Christmas followed by the busy season? Should I focus my money towards MORE marketing OR is that wasted money this time of year? Should I just sit tight and focus my energies on business improving projects until after Christmas?
Athena DeVonne
Event Planner

Re: Holiday Marketing Lull? HELP!

Unread post by Athena DeVonne »

I have created a vendor referral program. I have approached all the photographers I have close business relationships with. This is their busiest times with holiday photos etc. So I give them some of my information and tell them when they refer a client to me and they client signs a contract with me I will send them a $50 visa gift card and in return refer my clients to them first as a preferred vendor. Tricks to marketing are to get other professionals to market for you. This is a best business practice because it benefits both parties:) Also I'm attending more networking mixers and meetings etc. The more your name and face is out there meeting more people the more often you will come to mind as a personal referral. Personal referrals and word of mouth are the BEST marketing tools. Doesn't always have to come from an IN the industry professional ... it can come from anywhere:). I hope this helps in some way. Much success to you!
SalemEvents
Event Planner

Re: Holiday Marketing Lull? HELP!

Unread post by SalemEvents »

Athena
Those are all great ideas for marketing and thank you for answering my question.

I'm just wondering though since my marketing plan was working BEFORE Thanksgiving if it is just the time of year? It sounds like you are saying that this is a actually busy time of year and if I'm not getting new prospects something changed and I need to do different/more marketing?