An eclectic mix of opportunity

Get the latest updates from QC including new partnerships, course updates, and job opportunities.
Aaryn
Event Planner

An eclectic mix of opportunity

Unread postby Aaryn » December 12th, 2012, 9:26 pm

Hi fellow students!

I am waiting for my final marks to hopefully receive my certification after the new year(2013). I have started my own small business, check us out at beautifuldustevents.com (currently not available on IE browser) and please like us on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/BeautifulDustEvents

Upcoming events include the Relay for Life- Henrietta, NY, a Doctor Who inspired 'going-away' party, a "Skating her way to 15" birthday and possibly a day-of coordination of a Spring wedding.

Looking forward to hearing about YOUR adventures!

Aaryn
Perfect Party Planners
Event Planner

Re: An eclectic mix of opportunity

Unread postby Perfect Party Planners » December 17th, 2012, 7:07 pm

Congrats! I graduated in October and have been busy ever since. Best of luck!
InStyleGirl
Event Planner

Unread postby InStyleGirl » January 6th, 2013, 7:31 pm

Congrats, I am halfway through my course and are hoping to graduate by the fall of this year. I have recently opened my own small event planning business as well, hopefully with any luck i will have the sucess as many others who have gone through this program have, feel free to visit my site, www.twenty3events.com, and like us on facebook.

All the best to you in the future, continued success!
pinktree
Event Planner

Unread postby pinktree » February 26th, 2013, 5:12 am

Hi

Its great and inspiring to hear success stories! Im wondering if any of you could offer some advice?!

I completed the course and gained my diploma in December 2011. Since then, Ive been in the slow process of looking into starting up my own business. Its been slow going, as I had a baby a couple of weeks after completing the course and I had to start back at work in January this year.
I've been doing lots of research into competitors, have started to put together a business plan (which I have found quite difficult in places!) have loosely put together a pricing structure, had a logo created, lists of venues and suppliers etc and put together a website (although its not the best as I couldnt afford to pay to have one done professionally)
I kind of feel like Ive hit a brick wall though! My next step is to arrange meetings with venues etc but I'm not overly confident in how to go about this - do I approach the subject of discounts etc, or just introduce myself? Its so difficult to know the best way to go about it! Has anybody done this yet?
My main obstical though, is that I am going to find it difficult to advertise as my current employer doesn't know anythign about it. I feel really bad that I havent told my boss about it but on the other hand, I cant afford to put my job at risk if she knew the situation as Im not sure how she would react. So a facebook page is out of the question! I really need to approach her somehow, but there is no guarantee that the business would take off anytime soon anyway.
Is anyone else in a similar situation? Did you tell your current employer that you were doing the course and planning to set up your own business? What first steps did you take in setting up your business?
Sorry for rambling on
i just have so many questions that I don't really know where to start! x
Criss

Unread postby Criss » January 16th, 2014, 4:50 pm

Wow!

I am hoping that all has turned around for you in a better light. I would love to respond to this inquiry, but must first ask (as this was posted almost a year ago)-- How are you doing in your business?

I will share that I believe if you approach your boss with your business as an asset to her company, you may find it a welcomed opportunity. Turn all the Nays into Yeas, until experience dictates something different.

Good Luck!

Peace!
[color=#400080]My favorite quotes:

[i][b]"In the business of helping others--you have to give the performance of a lifetime, Everyday."
[/b][/i]
[i][b] “Let the beauty of what you love-- show in everything you do.”[/b][/i][/color]

Return to “QC Event School General Discussion”