starting your own business

Get the latest updates from QC including new partnerships, course updates, and job opportunities.
StephanieNicole
Event Planner

starting your own business

Unread post by StephanieNicole »

Are you having success in starting your own business and getting work after the course? I am starting Unit B and thinking of starting my own business part-time to see if it takes off or not.
adetola
Event Planner

Re: starting your own business

Unread post by adetola »

Its difficult to start up a business as you don't know where to start from. Have been trying to start a business too but don't know how to start. Can you help?
mberry
Event Planner

Unread post by mberry »

Started my course in december and im on unit b does anyone know if you have to create your own website for assignme b6. Thinking of starting out on my own once i finish this course but its so hard starting out on your own, part of me is thinking about getting a job in a hotel first just to get some experience
StephanieNicole
Event Planner

I think for starting up my plan is to make a website and facebook page, get business cards, letterhead, etc. Spread my business through word of mouth and possibly giving bridal salons, vendors, etc my business card.
troberson
Event Planner

Unread post by troberson »

I am in the process of starting my own business as well. I have just completed Unit B and ready to move on to the next. While I am in school I am just building my business as I go and using all the tips and knowledge that I am gaining from taking this course. I have also signed up with the Small Business Developement Center in my city to get consultations on how to launch my business and to attend workshops. So that being said, my advice to you all is to research what is offered in your area to help get you started. Also, if you know anyone who is already in the business of event planning, see if you can shadow them at an event. It is a lot of work but keep at it and be encouraged. Best Wishes and Blessings to you all and your future/present businesses!
Sharon Smith
Event Planner

Unread post by Sharon Smith »

Hi guys

I'm Sharon, from Glasgow, Scotland.

I started a couple months ago on the course and just getting ready to submut unit D. I'm also in the process of starting an event management & wedding planning business.

So far, I've contacted the local Chamber of Commerce, which is a good starting point, they only charge around £100 a year to be a member and there are loads of networking opportunities and they give you support. I contacted Business Gateway and through people I knew local councils just to get my name out there. I've been doing events on a voluntary basis for the last 7 years so took the plunge to try it as a business because I loved it so much. Its hard work and takes a while so in an ideal world working part time to get an income I think is the best option. I also contacted the university to see if any web designers needed a project for their degree because I also lead a fundraising group for cancer research and wanted a website for them. Luckily we were chosen and I'm getting one free and the other at a really discounted price.
My business cards just arrived yesterday, but again I took advantage of a graphics designer I knew to get a discounted price. I also went to the wedding fairs to collect suppliers because it was the easiest option having them all under one roof, and I followed up with an email so they had all my details and it started some good relationships going forward because you get to know who you would want to work with and recommend, plus it works both ways and they can market you too.
Next stage for me is direct marketing and start looking at what funding is out there and send in proposals. All good but also want a part time job to keep an income coming in until the business starts to make money.

Hope I havent rambled lol, just trying to get everything out I did to start up so far, still hundreds to do but you get an energy and its exciting.

Good luck to everyone :D
StephanieNicole
Event Planner

I am starting to get some business inquiries from clients!!!

I am excited but now I am nervous! I have planned parties for free for friends and family but this is so different! I don't want to ruin anyone's special event, esp when they are spending money!

Any advice on charging clients? I was going to go with an hourly rate based on what I read in Unit B or is it best to come up with a fixed rate for each service?
tynceco
Event Planner

Unread post by tynceco »

I do not have in mind to start my own business as of yet, I intend to contact the Hospitality crew that I worked with before and ask them for a free internship to work with their event coordinators in their hotel. Hopefully that will get me started in a way. I just sent my last assisgnment, and I should start with my phone calls at the beginning of April. Good Luck!
JDavies88
Event Planner

Unread post by JDavies88 »

StephanieNicole wrote:Any advice on charging clients? I was going to go with an hourly rate based on what I read in Unit B or is it best to come up with a fixed rate for each service?
Take a look at this blog post, I found it quite useful. http://theblog.qccareerschool.com/?s=wh ... 070&y=-436
cmontano
Event Planner

Unread post by cmontano »

StephanieNicole wrote: Any advice on charging clients? I was going to go with an hourly rate based on what I read in Unit B or is it best to come up with a fixed rate for each service?
Hi, I've done a LOT of research into this and the most frequently used system in the UK is to charge via packages - so like £x for just on the day, £x for partial/just planning and £x for a full package. I've only come across 1 planner that charges via % and that's for abroad weddings, where the minimum charge is £3,000. I don't think I've come across an hourly charge yet.