Problems with the competition

Get the latest updates from QC including new partnerships, course updates, and job opportunities.
JDavies88
Event Planner

Problems with the competition

Unread post by JDavies88 »

I have set up a new wedding planning business and have just started to advertise in the local area. Today I have had two nasty emails from two local competitive wedding planning companies. One was to ask about my prices which I didn't mind too much as we all need to do market research but I knew it was another company from their email address. I was sensitive in my reply but in response they phoned me to lie about their intentions. Second, a different local planner emailed me to say that I cannot exhibit at the local wedding shows I wanted to book a stand for because she is involved in the organisation of them! I feel very disheartened at receiving these rather bitchy emails/calls so far that I am wondering what other objections I will receive from competition in the future as I am obviously not welcome! :cry: Has anyone else had to deal with anything like this?
cmontano
Event Planner

Re: Problems with the competition

Unread post by cmontano »

Hiya, I haven't come across anything as of yet (mainly because I haven't quite started up yet) BUT I can offer some advice (if it helps!)

I completely agree, market research is a necessity - but there are ways to do it. If you have a website they could've looked there rather than e-mailing you, though obviously if you don't put prices online I can understand the e-mail. No worries - they're just curious about the new person on the scene.

The second planner cannot say to you that you're not to exhibit at the local wedding shows. Ignore them completely. They're obviously afraid of the competition and are being very rude and unprofessional. Contact someone else that is also involved in the organisation of the show and discuss the problem HONESTLY with them. Say that you've had Mrs X contact you - even offer to show them the emails - and that you're wondering why this unprofessional behaviour has happend and that you'd like to book a spot.

You never know - they may not be that great at what they do and are threatened by what you may be able to do! Stand tall and ignore it. There are people like that in every line of work (trust me!!) and you'll just have to unfortunately take it on the chin and show them exactly what you're made of. Just remember to stay professional. I'd maybe even be inclined to email the second person with something like "I'd really appreciate if we could be civil toward one another and remain professional." (I'd probably throw in a '...or are you just too scared of the healthy competition?' - but that's just me :lol: )

Hope this helps. Just keep going :)
JDavies88
Event Planner

Unread post by JDavies88 »

Thanks cmontano for the reply :) I have been very professional and civil in my replies to each of the other businesses so at least I can hold my head high. Thanks for the suggestion about contacting someone else with regards to the wedding shows, I may contact the venues directly to see if they know who can help! I certainly did not expect to receive aggressive correspondence from other planners and it has knocked me slightly - just a minor bump in the road towards becoming successful!
cmontano
Event Planner

Unread post by cmontano »

No problem!

Yeah definitely contact someone else, get your booth and prove that you're quite capable of getting on with it regardless! Awwh, don't let it knock you :) you're 110% able, but at least you know who your competition is and who to avoid in the area!!