Anyone starting thier own business after the course?

Get the latest updates from QC including new partnerships, course updates, and job opportunities.
pinktree
Event Planner

Anyone starting thier own business after the course?

Unread postby pinktree » March 22nd, 2012, 6:06 am

Hi

I completed the course in December and am in the process of setting up my own business in the uk.

I wondered if anyone else out there is doing the same? could maybe swap tips, experiences etc?

Emma x
mcmahont
Designer

Re: Anyone starting thier own business after the course?

Unread postby mcmahont » March 22nd, 2012, 5:49 pm

I have just started the course, but my plans upon completion are to open my own business. When I get to that point and I can offer some ideas and tips that I find useful for myself in the process.
Diligent
Event Planner

Unread postby Diligent » March 23rd, 2012, 3:00 am

I started the course and opened my business within a month of each other. One advantage I had was many years of experience planning events for pretty much everyone I knew (or knew of me through friends). I am on the last unit with the last 2 assignments already half done each, but have been so busy I have not yet gotten them finished. I recently hired 4 planners to work for my company so I can expand. This is NOT normal, but I have always been a "jump in with 2 feet" type of person.

The biggest tip I will tell you is build your portfolio!!!!! As I said I had many years of experience, but I had put no effort into building a portfolio and that hurt me BIG time. Everyone wants to see past examples of your work or see written reviews of your work from past clients. Even if your "past client" was your sister or best friend, have them write a review as they would for a business. This will carry a LOT of weight in getting started.

Also, check into wedding professional networks in your area. I don't know if it's world wide or just USA wide, but www.meetup.com is a great place to find free networking. Getting yourself recognized by the other vendors is HUGE. Become very active in any network you can. Go to the local wedding shows to collect their cards and introduce yourself to them. Make sure you never interrupt them or block a potential client. Showing them this respect will win them over. Be honest with the other vendors that you are just getting your business off the ground and you will quickly find out which ones are helpful. These are the ones to stick with, because they will always be willing to give you great tips.
EP7735
Event Planner

Unread postby EP7735 » March 23rd, 2012, 4:28 pm

I have 3 more unit assignment but I'm planning to start my own business.. How did you like the course? :D
eventsbykat
Event Planner

Unread postby eventsbykat » March 24th, 2012, 1:19 pm

I just completed my course to become an Event and Wedding Planner in Toronto, Canada and am in the process of starting my business while away on Maternity leave.

How is it going over there in the UK for you?? Event and Wedding Planning is a BIG business industry in Canada!
Flawless
Makeup Artist

Unread postby Flawless » March 26th, 2012, 5:02 pm

Hi Guys,

I have my own business whilst working on the course, Upon completion I can charge for my make overs as at the moment I work in aloe vera health and nutrition, in direct selling and network marketing.

I am in business with a photographer and I am doing treatments at the studio with a make up demo from my business range so really cannot wait to finish the course! xXx

I am hoping to end up with a photography, events, design, beauty and academy business of my own! Love hearing everyones ambitions it is really nice to see some driven people not letting life over take them, well done xXx
Flawless
Makeup Artist

Unread postby Flawless » March 26th, 2012, 5:03 pm

binette
Event Planner

Unread postby binette » March 27th, 2012, 3:59 am

Hello,

I have just completed teh course and got my Diploma yesterday. I live in Hull and my plan is to start my own business, but honestly I am a bit nervous because I have no past experience in planning events and I need a portfolio.

I was thinking to find either a placement or internship for a start to enable me to have that practical experiences and to get to know people in the event industry in Hull.

What do you think? Any other suggestions
Demarra
Event Planner

Unread postby Demarra » May 2nd, 2012, 10:51 am

Hello, my name is Demarra and I am located in Kalamazoo, Michigan in the US. I am 1 and half assignments away from finishing the course. I would like to start my own business, but I don't have any planning experience. I have tried to reach out to local planners in my area to do an internship, or work as an assistant for free. I have not heard from them yet as there are only 2 independent ones. Im starting to think I may just want to go through the ropes and start my business sooner than I thought.

Good Luck with your new business!
Athena DeVonne
Event Planner

Unread postby Athena DeVonne » May 18th, 2012, 10:10 pm

Athena DeVonne
Event Planner

Unread postby Athena DeVonne » May 18th, 2012, 10:16 pm

Athena DeVonne
Event Planner

Unread postby Athena DeVonne » May 18th, 2012, 10:30 pm

I just finished course Unit A and beginning Unit B. I am starting my own business as well. I have already built my website , registered my business name and sent the application off for the LLC. I'm planning my first event as a Business Launch event to get rid of the jitters, reach many possible clients, build a portfolio, receive feedback and sample the creativity I have. I also have started promoting and marketing my business on FB and LinkedIN...will be expanding social media as I go along building my confidence and completing the course work.

I love to network and build business relationships so if you would like to talk my facebook is
Entourage_Makeup_Artist
Makeup Artist

Unread postby Entourage_Makeup_Artist » May 31st, 2012, 5:03 pm

I am actually a salon manager currently and a makeup artist for the salon. Starting to freelance for Bridal Parties and special occasions. I actually didn't know the school offered classes in wedding planning till I saw the blogs on here. I love the planning but enjoy doing the makeup more.

Most of you are ahead of me.... so how do you like the courses?
pinktree
Event Planner

Unread postby pinktree » April 16th, 2013, 5:36 pm

Thank you for your replies! I didnt get a notification to my email so didnt realise there were any replies :D

I am really keen to start my own business (I completed the course in 2012) but since had a baby and am back at work. I have done tons of research etc and have a website but have not yet advertised as I've not approached the subject with my boss! (im worried about it affecting my job security if they know my plans).

Those who have been lucky enough to start their own business, what first steps did you take? These are the things I am finding the most difficult. I have my first meeting with a venue on Friday so any tips would be very much appreciated :)
agraves
Event Planner

Unread postby agraves » April 17th, 2013, 8:39 pm

Hi,

I'm in unit b and I plan to start my business when I complete the course. I agree with all the tips and I'm looking forward to a rewarding new career. :D
HayleyField
Event Planner

Unread postby HayleyField » May 11th, 2013, 2:29 pm

Hi Emma,

I started the course in October, and set up my business at the same time! I'm now halfway through Unit F so nearly finished.

I haven't really been actively marketing my business as I want to build up slowly and get some experience of the industry (and also finish my qualification). I work full time at the moment as an IT Project Manager (so I have experience of project planning, budget management, managing suppliers etc - just nto weddings)!

I set up a Facebook page initially, this is a great way to get yourself out there with no risk, as there's no set up costs involved, and you can get friends and family to Like & Share your page - pop over to mine and have a look - www.facebook.com/mermaidevents

Doing this has helped me grow in confidence, I've now planned 2 birthday parties, with another coming up, and also a potential wedding, and so now with a small portfolio and some practical experience and knowledge I now feel ready to take the next step, so I'll be launching my website at the end of June.

I'd say if you can cope with not having any spare time (working in a full-time job, trying to get a business off the ground, and studying too), this is a great low-risk way of getting confidence, knowledge, skills and a portfolio.

best of luck!

Hayley
dawn2323
Event Planner

Unread postby dawn2323 » May 12th, 2013, 11:40 pm

I am almost half way through the course and I am starting my own business as I work my way through. I agree that networking and portfolio are crucial! The first bridal show I went to to network I had no business cards nor a business name but I put myself out there. I found that for the most part that the vendors were very friendly and willing to help. I too have had the same problem with local event planners not getting back with me or not wanting to meet. I have decided that I am going to send a friend in as an undercover bride. For those of you who say you have no experience....have you ever planned a birthday party (child's or adults), or been a matron/maid of honor where it was your job to basically be day of coordinator??? If so find some pics for these events to start your portfolio! Even if it is only one child's birthday and it was your child. The meetup.com link is a great place as well...that was great advice!! I found two groups who support women in business! Here where I live there is a small business administration office that help people get their businesses off the ground by looking over their business plans, holding educational seminars on starting a business, and help link you to funding. I recommend that you check out this possibility as well.
pinktree
Event Planner

Unread postby pinktree » May 14th, 2013, 5:44 pm

Its great to hear what other people are doing :D

I face a bit of an obstical at the moment with fully starting up, as I dont want my employer to find out as I'm worried that it will put my job at risk and I just cannot afford to lose my job without knowing I have a business to fall back on which will take time ;) so social media, etc is a bit tricky at the moment.

Im in the process of setting pu meetings with local venues etc so that I can get as far as I can get, before fully launching/advertising.

Does anybody have any advice on how to go about approaching venues/vendors? I keep typing and re typing email as I cant think of the best approach so any advice would be great!
cmontano
Event Planner

Unread postby cmontano » May 16th, 2013, 7:50 am

Can I ask the UK students (sorry everywhere else) - what are you doing about insurance etc? Are you getting any? Did you go to a bank and sort it that way? I'm just gathering ideas so that I can start up after I complete the course.

Thanks in advance :)
Claudia

Return to “QC Event School General Discussion”