Unit F Budget

Talk about your designs, ask questions about your assignments, and get advice from your peers.
CherylM11

Unit F Budget

Unread post by CherylM11 »

So.....I didn't pay the greatest attention to how much time I spent on assignments and therefore I'm having a tricky time trying to determine my design fees/hourly rates etc. I'm finding it difficult to find decorator fee comps in my area. Every search comes up as Interior Designers, not decorators. I did read some information on the Forum page, "up to $150 per hour" - well I know I'm not experienced and won't be charging THAT much ;)

Thoughts, anyone? I know this is a long shot for replies as this is the last assignment.
CherylM11

Re: Unit F Budget

I meant "focal Point blog", not the forum....
CherylM11

I'm good LOL. Found more info I needed in World Of Design and Deco book.
Alyssajeske

Unread post by Alyssajeske »

Hey Cheryl - I’m having the same problem. Did you figure out how to find out the estimated time/cost?
pixieb

Unread post by pixieb »

I've done a lot of research into how people price their businesses in various industries. The biggest factor is how much you think your time is worth. Interior decorators seem to price themselves around $75-$200/hr from what I've gathered so far. Then you want to look at your area demographics and see how much people would be likely to pay. Part of this includes looking at competitors and how much they charge. If there are no interior decorators then you can look at interior designer fees just to get a feel of the market. After your research, you can compare what you found to what you want to make. People have a terrible habit of undervaluing themselves so don't go with the lowest price just because you aren't experienced enough. You already have more experience than anyone thinking about hiring you.