Business Unit 1

Talk about your designs, ask questions about your assignments, and get advice from your peers.
tkelly
Designer

Business Unit 1

Unread postby tkelly » April 18th, 2013, 8:46 pm

I want to do the business units included in this course but I am stuck on Unit 1! It's my understanding from the course book as well as my business classes that the Executive Summary is the last part of your business plan because it summarizes of everything within your plan. How am I suppose to complete Unit 1 when I haven't even figured out the plan yet? Am I missing something?
camia
Designer

Re: Business Unit 1

Unread postby camia » May 8th, 2013, 11:16 pm

you are right, I had the same problem
I let my tutor know that I will do the business units at the end of the modules.
Krysta Ketcheson

Unread postby Krysta Ketcheson » May 9th, 2013, 12:41 pm

Hi students!

I see you have questions about writing an Executive Summary for your first business assignment. I have included two links to helpful websites that provide tips and examples for writing an Executive Summary. You can adapt the examples to fit your specific business needs. Since these units are optional and early in the course, we understand that you may not have all the information at the moment. This assignment is more of a well thought out first draft intended to get you thinking towards the future :) Provide as much information as you can but understand that you will likely want to edit it or add information later for your final copy for your own business purposes!

Also, the business units will need to be submitted with the rest of the assignments from the corresponding unit. Since our tutors are professionals working in the industry, we accommodate their schedules by having them mark assignments in blocks!

http://articles.bplans.com/writing-a-bu ... ummary/207

http://sbinfocanada.about.com/od/busine ... ummary.htm

If you have any more questions feel free to get in touch with us by phone or email :) We are always happy to help!!

Warm Wishes,

Krysta
tkelly
Designer

Unread postby tkelly » June 10th, 2013, 8:06 pm

Thanks for your reply Camia. I sent in my unit without the section completed and said the same (before I saw both your reply's :) )

I appreciate your explanation Krysta. It's not how to write one that I had a problem with it's that you can't write one without having the fundamentals of your business set out first, which I don't.

It's understandable that the tutors only have so much time to give as such they need the units submitted as a whole. It makes sense. I guess I will skip this optional section then.
Meg29

Unread postby Meg29 » October 9th, 2013, 9:34 am

Hi Tkelly,

When I completed this section I completed it in a hypothetical manner. Basically, what do I want my future business to look like i.e. what's my goal statement, what services will I provide, etc. I did an overview market research which I will complete with more detail when I am getting closer to starting the business. It's meant to get you thinking about the business you wish to create at the end of the course so you will have a foundation to build on as the course goes on and you learn more on the business side of things.

I'm at the final project now and have completed the business portion of all the units. Having no business sense before this course I highly recommend completing the business units. I have so much background work done now to start my business and it no longer seems as daunting!

Hope that helps and best of luck!
Megan

Return to “Interior Decorating”