How & what to charge paying clients who are good friends...

Hear the latest from QC including job opportunities, course updates, continuing education opportunities, and more.
DesignShift

How & what to charge paying clients who are good friends...

Unread postby DesignShift » July 7th, 2013, 3:26 pm

Hi there,
I am a graduate who is designing/decorating on the side from my full time job. I have had friends who I have helped in the past and not charged any fee. Now they have hired me as a paying client, and I am finding it hard to decide how I should charge them. I have helped in the selection of the products used, colours, floor coverings, etc. They acted as general contractor. Do I charge by hour? (I spent a lot of time; though I love doing it). If I charged a % of the project, I think that would be unrealistic. Any words of advice??
Thanks, Mari-Lynn :)
A2820

Re: How & what to charge paying clients who are good friends

Unread postby A2820 » August 13th, 2013, 5:19 pm

Hi, I am new put I have done design work before, you could give them a discount but don't work for free or why are you in business if you are going to work for free. :? Sorry this is probably too late but cut yourself some slack you paid for the knowledge why are you giving it away?
Marlene
Designer

Unread postby Marlene » August 24th, 2013, 9:53 am

If you completed the Business portion of the course, I believe it is in Section C that teaches you how to charge for services. For friends, I personally would make it clear what your standard rates are (i.e $XX per hour or $XX dollars per day) and then tell them you are willing to offer them a discount of XX% - Just a thought.
vedabryant

Unread postby vedabryant » September 12th, 2013, 4:33 pm

I am a new student also but I agree that your friends should not take advantage of your expertise, time or money spent for your education. Discounting your fee is a good idea and they should be willing to pay! :D

Return to “QC Design School General Discussion”