Favorite Authors

Get course updates from Winghill.
Krysta Ketcheson

Favorite Authors

Unread postby Krysta Ketcheson » February 5th, 2013, 2:11 pm

Hello Everyone!

Here at Winghill we were just having a discussion about some of our favorite authors and it made me wonder what you're reading right now. Do you have any authors on your per-order list?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Krysta Ketcheson
Student Support Manager
Colo. Sandy
Writer

Re: Favorite Authors

Unread postby Colo. Sandy » February 5th, 2013, 5:01 pm

Hi Krysta,
I am a huge fan of both Philippa Gregory and Margaret George. Of course this is highly due to my fascination with the entire Henry VIII era and those that surrounded him. One of my all time favorite novels is The Other Boleyn Girl. I have read it 3 times! These are both fanatstic authors if someone is into historical fiction. I am now reading The Memoirs of Cleoptra by George just to take a break from good old Henry. However, a few weeks ago I forgot my NOOK in the car leaving for vacation :o and boarding a plane. My husband grabbed me a few books at the bookstore from the airport while I was pouting. I also enjoy a good murder mystery and he picked up a book titled "Shattered" by Michael Robotham. I loved it and read it in a little over a day. The second one was by Gillian Flynn " Gone Girl" which I also enjoyed, except for the ending. Once we arrived in Maui I decided to pick up two more books by these authors and can say I did not like Dark Places by Flynn...concept was good and intriguing enough I finished it... but just a little too gory on the children killing for me. And Bleed for Me by Robotham was also okay but not as good as Shattered. I read like three books at a time so although I am still plowing through Cleopatra, I am also reading The Trial by Kafka ( I am a big believer in reading 1 classic per month) and I am about to start the Night Circus. Has anyone read that one? I welcome any comments if you have.
gwenythlove
Writer

Unread postby gwenythlove » February 6th, 2013, 2:23 pm

I have always been a huge fan of Stephen King. I am also very fond of Dean Koontz and Laurell K Hamilton. A fellow Canadian author, Kelley Armstrong, is also a huge favourite of mine. I have just started reading a lot of YA novels and am finding quite a few talented authors in this genre as well such as Jodi Meadows, Rachel Vincent, and Ilsa J Bick among many many others.
pcsharratt
Writer

Unread postby pcsharratt » February 9th, 2013, 1:07 am

Hello,
I have a very diverse reading arena. It depends on my mood. I have my 'get away from it all books' Danielle Steele, John Grisham and Steve Berry. Then I like to dip into some heavier themes of Gary Zukav, Nealew Donald Walsch. Then for curiosity sake any autobiographies and biographies. I just love to read.
BlueJen7
Writer

Unread postby BlueJen7 » March 8th, 2013, 1:19 pm

I love Alice Munro (short story collection) and Richard Ford as well as the oldies like Guy de Maupassant, Raymond Chandler, Douglas Adams. New one by a student of creative writing class in UK :Penny Hancock, very good.
Izzy
Writer

Unread postby Izzy » March 24th, 2013, 2:21 pm

Some of the authors I enjoy are; Edgar Allen Poe. H. P. Lovecraft, Dean Koontz, (older) Steven King, Brad Thor and Vince Flynn. Also, Ernest Hemingway (probably my favorite), Charles Dickens, Mark Twain. I'm sure I've forgotten to mention some others.
ReesesKryss
Writer

Unread postby ReesesKryss » April 9th, 2013, 4:17 pm

Mine would be James Patterson, Stephen King, Edger Alen Poe, Brian Jacques, Margaret Peterson Haddix (I grew up reading her books), and Daniel Handler. If any knows books that are "Mind-Fk", animal, fantasy, psychological, Sci-fi, thriller, mysteries, nature, than let me know.
[color=#FF4000][b]Reeses[/b][/color][i][color=#BF00BF]Kryss[/color][/i]
hack
Writer

Unread postby hack » September 19th, 2013, 7:19 am

I just discovered Haruki Murakami. I had never heard of this guy until I started seeing blurbs for his new novel, 1Q84. When I find a new author, I usually read the earlier works first, then go from there. I am almost through his Kafka on the Shore, and I cannot believe how this guy can write. It is, simply put, sublime. I can't help but think that if the work is this good in translation, how great must it be in the original Japanese.
The first Vonnegut I ever read was The Sirens of Titan. That book made me want to write fiction. Then I read Brautigan's Willard and his Bowling Trophies and Trout Fishing in America. Those made me write fiction. Kafka makes me want to write beautiful fiction.
I'll never write like him. But that won't keep me from trying . . .

Return to “Winghill Writing School”