Publications

Get course updates from Winghill.
Ash18

Publications

Unread postby Ash18 » July 29th, 2013, 3:22 pm

For Assignment 1, I suggested a couple of publications that I have VERY limited knowledge of. And in Assignment 2, I need to find two more publications, one being something I "know well."

My problem is that I am not familiar with any publications - aside from the occasional People magazine I decide to browse through. I'm having a hard time even choosing what to write my cover letter and outline about because I don't know what to write for/toward.

I guess my question is am I the only one with this issue? And does anyone have suggestions? Should I just write up an idea and submit it without a publication in mind?
Burnellta

Re: Publications

Unread postby Burnellta » August 22nd, 2013, 1:54 pm

Hi, my name is Theresa. I just wanted you to know you are not the only one. I am actually having trouble coming up with an idea let alone the right publication. My library only has major magazines. I am afraid I am too "new" to try to get in one of those. So who then? I feel like the materials are vague in the first part of the course. I have read the material over and over looking for something I might have missed but so far no real inspiration. Maybe I am missing the forest through the trees. Good luck.
Ash18

Unread postby Ash18 » September 18th, 2013, 3:16 pm

It is SO good to hear that I'm not alone in this - I've been so upset with my struggling for over a month now. The course book makes it sound really easy and I feel like I'm just... MISSING something. My first assignment outside of the book (once I finished it) was to find a publication to send an article to, find the submission guidelines, and write up an outline to send in to my tutor. I'm honestly considering scrapping my whole first idea and going back to square one: finding something I can actually submit to. I have the same problem with the magazines, and I don't know how to find smaller names. My tutor mentioned, though I didn't find it very helpful, looking on the magazines' websites, but I'm hitting the same roadblocks.
Best of luck to you as well.
hack
Writer

Unread postby hack » September 19th, 2013, 7:03 am

Search, search, search!
Search for publications that accept submissions of recipes or articles or short fiction. Whatever it is that you have an interest in writing.
Or, search "recipe markets" or "flash fiction markets", etc...
Read a few articles on websites or in periodicals to see if the magazine would be interested in what you offer.
Search "writers markets" or just "writers". That will give you more information and markets than you can read in a year. Remember, any question you can think of can be answered using a search engine. It just depends on how you craft the query.

C'mon, guys. I'm a halfwit at the best of times. Almost everybody I know is smarter than me. If I can do this, you can!
hack
Writer

Unread postby hack » September 19th, 2013, 7:07 am

I forgot the most important thing: Find a market you like and write for that market. (Not the other way around...) Never submit anything you have no market for. We're in this to have fun, be creative and make some playmoney, no?
Ash18

Unread postby Ash18 » September 20th, 2013, 11:26 am

I asked for suggestions via email to the school and was given this website that I think may be helpful:

http://www.placesforwriters.com/

Return to “Winghill Writing School”