FOUNDATIONS!!!

Share ideas with your peers, discuss assignments, and get career advice.
Makeup_Junkie86
Makeup Artist

FOUNDATIONS!!!

Unread postby Makeup_Junkie86 » January 25th, 2013, 11:14 am

Last night I did my first full makeup assignment on a friend. Right now I only have the foundation palette that came free with my course materials besides foundations I use on myself, so that's what I used on her. I'm not sure if its just my technique, or that the foundation just isn't that good at all, but the more I looked that the finished product after completing her full face, I didn't really like it that much. I color matched her very well, I kind of suprised myself haha! I know that these are just tools to help us practice so I'm not making a big stink about it, but it makes me seriously want to go ahead and start building a great foundation kit as part of my whole kit. Can anyone reccomend some good cream foundation palettes? I've been looking at Mehron, Kryolan, Cinema Secrets, Ben Nye, RCMA, but not sure how good any of these brands are. I don't mind spending the money on good foundations that will give me a good array of colors to suit all skin tones and that are good for mixing. I am trying to limit myself on no more than $200 on a cream foundation palette. But, if I am going to spend that much, I want it to be worth every penny. So I'm asking for advice! Please and thank you! :D
Shellykaren
Makeup Artist

Re: FOUNDATIONS!!!

Unread postby Shellykaren » January 28th, 2013, 6:57 pm

Hi again Makeup Junkie!
It is a matter of personal preference. I have graftobian, mehron and just ordered some Ben nye products for my kit. Our "kits" we got with our product is 20 shade correct and conceal. ( I found some online and ordered 2 more of them)
Why do you want a cream based out of curiosity? Do you use it yourself? Just curious. DId you get a pic of your friend before and after?

I use Mac for the most part. For my husband (www.johnmorrisonphotographer.com) and I, we like the way it covers especially for photo shoots. Basically for us tried tested and true. I also use Mac for my airbrush kit. I blend it with Mehron mixing liquid for the right consistency for my airbrush gun. For my airbrush gun, my preference is with temptu line. I think you asked about samplers. I would suggest http://camerareadycosmetics.com/categor ... tions.html you can get some samples from there to try. The price is fairly reasonable and you can try different things maybe even have a combination of products. Different MUA's will use different products based on the personal preference. I know it may not be helpful to you but that is my input.
Cheers Shellykaren!
BlackCat Makeup Artistry
For the Purr-fect look
DeNay Walker
Makeup Artist

Unread postby DeNay Walker » January 28th, 2013, 6:57 pm

Black opal has great foundations. The foundations from black opal are sticks and they work great.
Makeup_Junkie86
Makeup Artist

Unread postby Makeup_Junkie86 » January 28th, 2013, 9:01 pm

ShellyKaren I prefer cream foundations because they can be built up very nicely or sheered out. I also plan to get powders and liquids, bb creams, etc. but I already have preferences for those that I know I want to buy, the cream foundations was all I needed some input in.
flammingbeauty88
Makeup Artist

Unread postby flammingbeauty88 » April 13th, 2013, 1:42 pm

I use mineral powder foundation and mineral blush both from Avon its not expensive like other makeup brands but I findthat its the quality that counts.I have very sensitive and dry skin so I apply some face cream also from Avon its called moisture therapy intensive healing and repair cream just a little dab of cream goes a long way then apply foundation it won't look cakey looks like I used liquid foundation to new one that has dry skin
MkDiva2005
Makeup Artist

Unread postby MkDiva2005 » April 26th, 2013, 11:44 am

Mary Kay is awesome also!!!! They have a good variety of shades to choose from and now their foundations are broken down by skin tpe also as well as shades.
tdaum
Makeup Artist

Unread postby tdaum » April 30th, 2013, 12:14 pm

I am a mary kay consultant so i use thier foundations. and thier tinted moisturisers for those people that dont need alot of coverage. bu i am starting to fall in love with NYX HD foundations. the lightest one is amazing on the really really pale red heads. it is actually light enough for them.(i did a weddign for a red head that is extreamly pale so i did some reaserch and this is the most used by extreamly pale girls. and they were right it worked amazing) i would sujest to not buy a whole munch of foundation colours. becuase you can always mix them. a MAC sales lady sujested it. to not buy a bunch but just a few and mix.
jocelynsface
Makeup Artist

Unread postby jocelynsface » May 2nd, 2013, 2:16 am

Can we get Mac Pro student discount
makeuplover

Unread postby makeuplover » August 7th, 2013, 4:05 pm

Have you considered Bobbi Browns Pro Palette? I believe it has every shade of their foundation as well as every shade of their concealors and correctors. Fairly certain it is between 200 and 250.

Return to “Master Makeup Artistry”