Make up Kit Building

Receive news from QC including course updates, continuing education opportunities, and job postings.
Cairalice
Makeup Artist

Make up Kit Building

Unread postby Cairalice » November 30th, 2011, 9:29 am

Favorite make up brands? Be specific! Dont just say "mac" or "urban decay" What are your favorite products? Personally I love the Eyes Lips Face (elf) cream eyeliners and studio brushes and they're super cheap so you can get an array of colors for your clients! If anyone got the palettes from QC the eye shadows are actually widely known from when Coastal Scents came out and you can get them cheaper on amazon! Anyone else have products they love?!
Stoffpuppe
Makeup Artist

Re: Make up Kit Building

Unread postby Stoffpuppe » December 1st, 2011, 1:35 am

bh cosmetics is great too! good price and such good quality :)
Cairalice
Makeup Artist

Unread postby Cairalice » December 1st, 2011, 8:21 am

Yeah i wish i knew who the "core" distributor was, BH, Coastal Scents, and Les Cosmetique have the exact same palettes...do you like something specific with them? I Find their blushes to be kind of chalky.
Yukichichiri
Makeup Artist

Unread postby Yukichichiri » December 2nd, 2011, 10:56 am

I love TOO FACED, JILL STUART, and BH COSMETICS! :D
Stoffpuppe
Makeup Artist

Unread postby Stoffpuppe » December 6th, 2011, 2:22 am

i love their eyeshadows personaly and i havent tested out the blushes yet. But since you said that, i won't expect much =P
Yazmin
Makeup Artist

Unread postby Yazmin » December 11th, 2011, 2:29 am

To be honest, MAC is one of my favorite brands, but I also use a variety of products from Wet & Wild, L'Oreal, Cover Girl, NYX, and ELF to Urban Decay, Nars, Too Faced, and Tarte.
Cairalice
Makeup Artist

Unread postby Cairalice » December 12th, 2011, 6:03 pm

I'm a little apprehensive with MAC now...back in '06 there were major make-up artist's boycotting the brand because they cheapened the formulas to make more money- now i dont have anything to compare to pre 06 so i dont know if its worth all the hype? I've done some research and MUFE (make up forever) seems to be one of the best out there for overall, nars blushes, stila lipglosses and the rcma foundations (shinto and ko series) or cinema secrets...Also a major thing i realized which was especially important because im just starting is that brand snobbery affects your bank account not the quality f the product so research your make-up ladies & gents and save a $.

An example, E.L.F hd powder= 6$ main ingredient: dimethicone/polymer... MUFE Hd Finish powder=30$ main ingredient: dimethicone/polymer...

Monistat chafing cream(thats not a typo ;) ) used as a face primer 5-10$ main ingredient simethicone...Laura Mercier, MAC prep and prime, =30-40$ main ingredient...simethicone!!!
forever.makeup
Makeup Artist

Unread postby forever.makeup » December 14th, 2011, 10:22 am

bh cosmetics are awesome and they are cost friendly, urban decay is another one of my favs...and on the cheaper end but they still work great NYX and E.L.F
razrcutrgrl
Makeup Artist

Unread postby razrcutrgrl » December 15th, 2011, 4:38 pm

I can work with about anything, I usually stock up on the Walmart Makeup kits they put out at Christmas. I liek Avon,mark,and ELF Wet And Wild is ok too. the Makeup Connection has some great kits too. I purchased alot of my brushes from art stores the painters brushes are similar to makeup brushes
Scheryl
Makeup Artist

Unread postby Scheryl » December 15th, 2011, 10:47 pm

I personally love E.L.F brushes and BH Cosmetics for the palettes both eyes and lips oh and cheeks too... as far as cost goes AMAZING prices for the amount of product you get. Pigment is spot on in my opinion..a little really does go along way....

===Just thought I would mention that I am still in need of people to join with me to sign up for PBA Membership===
Email me if your interested:::ScherylBoughton@gmail.com
Lady4746
Makeup Artist

Unread postby Lady4746 » December 27th, 2011, 7:50 pm

I absolutely love too faced primers. I'm also a big fan of Sugarpills shadows, especially the loose shadows. They're a bit pricey, but I love the bright colors.
Cairalice
Makeup Artist

Unread postby Cairalice » December 27th, 2011, 8:56 pm

Yeah Sugar Pill is like pure pigment! So vibrant and i'd say urban decay's primer potion and two faced insurance are the best eye primers in the market:) More people who realize price isnt everything! I have some brushes from the art store too- and bh is always having some kinda sale. I'd say the only thing I really ever splurge on for quality are my foundations and concealers- RCMA and Cinema Secrets, Laura Mercier, MUFE, Face Atelier and MAC have some incredible ones.
deena.willis
Makeup Artist

Unread postby deena.willis » January 1st, 2012, 5:15 pm

I just bought some eyeshadows from makeup geek store.com. Her eyeshadows are great and they are loaded with pigment. The price is $ 5.99 each and the great news is that they fit in MAC eyeshadow palette. I have been trying out the Real Techniques makeup brushes by Samantha Chapman from www pixiwoomadness.com. You can buy them from ULTA stores in the USA. She has three different kits with cases that will fit in your purse or makeup kit. The kits start out at 17.99 dollars. I really like all of the brushes I purchased. Also, I do like the HD Foundation from Makeup Forever. Although its a bit pricey the coverage is great and it doesn't feel heavy. I hope this has help everyone. Deena
Rhonlynn
Makeup Artist

Unread postby Rhonlynn » January 6th, 2012, 12:10 pm

I'm a MAC girl. Have been for years-eye shadow, blush only. For eye liner I prefer Clarins eye liner, but recently found Elf, and I'm in love. I love Sephora's mascara. I use Latisse, and mascara is my nemesis. I just signed up for this today, but found a Sephora's palette that stands on legs-the cute one available in December, on Ebay for 74.00, so that is what I bought. I also use Sephora's eyeshadow sometimes. I may not use the palette that QC sends you.
Scheryl
Makeup Artist

Unread postby Scheryl » January 6th, 2012, 12:42 pm

That is awesome! Let me know if you dont use that QC Palette I might buy it from you....maybe do a give away or something....
angie30
Makeup Artist

Unread postby angie30 » January 11th, 2012, 10:52 pm

hello girls!! well i use elf cosmetic they are realy good a afforable prices and a other that im going to try really soon are nyx cosmetic.. try them and let me know what do u girls think it wont hurt they re really affordable..
Rhonlynn
Makeup Artist

Unread postby Rhonlynn » January 12th, 2012, 9:28 am

During this course, we learn foundation matching....is it feasible to buy a few colors of, like, Elf (which I've recently discovered, and it's going to save me hundreds, compared to my personal favorite, Nars.), and use them on our models, or have to models bring their own? (I'll save the NARS for myself,).
Scheryl
Makeup Artist

Unread postby Scheryl » January 12th, 2012, 10:41 am

If any of you new comers would like to join in with me and a couple other ladies for the PRO Beauty membership of only $45.00 just let me know I am still in need of at least two more people so that we can get our memberships started. Contact me Via email if your interested: ScherylBoughton@gmail.com ...also check out probeauty.org for all the membership details..this is really a once in a lifetime opportunity at that price.
Rhonlynn
Makeup Artist

Unread postby Rhonlynn » January 13th, 2012, 10:26 am

I forgot to send that check, let me make sure my next pay check is like I think it will be...I don't go to Sally's enough to join PBA...oh and, I received my class pallete yesterday, and already started playing with it....I knew I would. I just have to get over the 3 months of waiting for unit b, I think I'll add a payment or 2. That is too slow.
Cairalice
Makeup Artist

Unread postby Cairalice » January 13th, 2012, 7:49 pm

In reply to the ELF foundations, they should be fine while your learning how to match...wait till they have a 50% off studio and you can get every color for like 25$ but with that said, never put anything on a client you wouldn't use yourself! Ive personally never used them but ive heard great things. Once you can afford the more expensive stuff RCMA, Cinema Secrets, and Graftobian have pro palettes or you can get individual from MuFe, Laura Mercier...whatever floats your boat:)
Rhonlynn
Makeup Artist

Unread postby Rhonlynn » January 13th, 2012, 11:28 pm

ELF is hit or miss. I find their caps on the gel pens loose. That was irritating, cause the pen dried and the cap was loose without me knowing it. I found the eyeliner pencil by ELF unsatisfying. I use either Sephora's or Clairens. So, I bought Maybelline liquid eyeliner. I also bought the gel eyeliner with the applicator brush, but that didn't go as well as the liquid eyeliner, it needs practice. I've seen enough youtube videos, and this was actually my first time to experiment with it. I am sold. I also put it on my mom.

But, I am wearing ELF tinted moisturizer.It goes perfect with my skin (I'm only trying it, to suggest it to others. I use NARS foundation, but I'd never use that on clients. It costs too much, but I'm worth it.) So use things, before suggesting them. I have a hard time finding ELF, but I am on their email list, so I will watch for that sale.
Cairalice
Makeup Artist

Unread postby Cairalice » January 14th, 2012, 12:52 am

I wasn't saying use Nars on your clients because that's what you use, I'm saying use products you like yourself. As a student ELF could be fine to practice with-I don't need to have experienced the product to know this-because on a paying client you should invest in quality foundations. Cheap ones like ELF and other drugstore brands contain titanium dioxide which create awful flashback. And yes I agree,they are severely hit or miss! Everyone i know in the industry has always told me a good MUA has fantastic brushes and quality foundations and concealers-the rest doesn't matter where it comes from. But when practicing you get whatever you can get your hands on!
Rhonlynn
Makeup Artist

Unread postby Rhonlynn » January 14th, 2012, 11:01 am

Thanks! That helped alot...for paying customers, after this course, it'll be high quality. But as a student, it should be what I can afford. Do you know when the course begins to work in makeup skills? I'm paying by the month,but I might change that to speed things up a bit.
angie30
Makeup Artist

Unread postby angie30 » January 15th, 2012, 5:02 pm

That what I did.. I speed it up I got my unit B that is when we start doing actual makeup I like it alot I learn in just few min. Alot more tech. That I already learn from Scott Barnes book. That is a really good book to have he tell u differeted tech. And alot of tip try it out you won't regret it I got fro le cosmetique.com for 19$ ;)
Teyzaqt
Makeup Artist

Unread postby Teyzaqt » February 8th, 2012, 2:08 pm

Love all the comments.......I use it all.......i have a serious shopping problem as any female does......lol, But whenever I go to Macy's Lord n Taylor, Blommies.....etc.....Holidays are the best time too.......I purchase perfumes with makeup gifts sets that come with them......I have several from Lancome, Chanel, Sheishedo and so forth that they give as free gifts of purchase. This is another way of sampling the products before purchasing them at full price or size.......Just a thought to share!!!!!
Shauntey Williams
Future Cadillac unit!!!!
[url]http://shaunteyd.webs.com[/url]
QuirkyQuiner
Makeup Artist

Unread postby QuirkyQuiner » March 3rd, 2012, 4:10 am

Just wanted to say: this thread and everyone's comments are really helpful because I'm only really familiar with Ben Nye and Mehron.
Cairalice
Makeup Artist

Unread postby Cairalice » March 3rd, 2012, 6:28 am

Which are two fantastic Pro brands!! Feel free to have your own input:)
QuirkyQuiner
Makeup Artist

Unread postby QuirkyQuiner » March 4th, 2012, 7:23 pm

candyg
Makeup Artist

Unread postby candyg » March 20th, 2012, 6:53 pm

hi there
can anyone tell me if brands like covergirl,maybelline and revlon are any good as i did not see them listed in many people comments i havent purchased any new foundation yet i currently use designer brands but sometimes find its looks cakey .I am wanting to branch out and try newer ones but am nsure where to head and is it ok to buy them from kmart ? big w or priceline or do i try for cosmetic store or online
PLEAAAASEEEEEE HELP !!! :D
Perilously Pale
Makeup Artist

Unread postby Perilously Pale » March 21st, 2012, 3:05 pm

Revlon Colorstay is a very popular foundation with good coverage that a lot of people swear by (for personal use). If a big Revlon sale comes up I could see it as being a good option for foundation for building a kit.
candyg
Makeup Artist

Unread postby candyg » March 21st, 2012, 3:54 pm

ok thanks for helping i was thinking of trying revlon etc then moving on to more expensive and possibly organic products as i progress and become more comfortable experimenting
luvbrown
Makeup Artist

Unread postby luvbrown » March 28th, 2012, 11:29 am

Hello All,

I just started this course and I received my kit yesterday. I am working on building my kit. As a student I really want to be as economical as I can. Are there any tips for a beginner like myself for basically everything! Foundations, primers, etc.
MUA on the Move....
gcoffield
Makeup Artist

Unread postby gcoffield » March 31st, 2012, 8:26 am

I really love Benefits highlighters. They are so good!! I also quite like their lipglosses as well. Although I always find that I go through stages with different brands. Their so much to choose from I always think you should try as much as possible.
amgreen42
Makeup Artist

Unread postby amgreen42 » April 6th, 2012, 6:01 pm

I personally love the wet n wild products. They are very cost friendly and they have really stepped up there game lately. Every time a new set of eyeshadows come out i look for them online. Although the new ones rarely go to the walgreens that are near my house i still like to look up reviews on them and tutorials for future inspiration. i love everything form eye shadow to eye liner to the lip products than the nail products. The pigment is so very blendable and the pay off is very nice.
My vote WET N WILD...available at drug stores near you!!!! lol
angelkub
Makeup Artist

Unread postby angelkub » November 11th, 2012, 10:43 am

Personally, I would start out making sure you have all the brushes you need, disposable items for sanitary reasons, then a couple of big eyeshadow palettes that range from neutrals, shimmery, matte and etcetera. When I first started out, I got the NYX Smokey Look palette and it contained pretty much everything I needed for contouring, highlighting, blush, lip colors, glitter, lots of eyeshadows and it's only $22.00! It's professional grade stuff and very affordable, even without a discount. They have a lot of great products. (NYX Cosmetics - www.nyxcosmetics.com)

Aside from that, make sure you have at least one type of mascara, brush shampoo, varying shades of foundation and at least one primer - try to get liquid and powder foundations, a translucent powder at very least for setting makeup, a palette or a few concealers, etc.

Don't worry about filling your kit right away - I'm going on a year of doing this and I still add to mine all the time! QC may have sent you a lot of that stuff already and it really is good stuff, so take advantage of those materials. I would suggest getting some better brushes, however. I find that the synthetic ones like from Walgreens (I live in the USA) are far better and EcoTools makes really good ones that are very affordable.

I easily got discounts from FACE atelier, Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics (OCC) - I highly recommend their Lip Tars, btw among other things. Great company! Then there's www.lecosmetique.com and they have a little bit of everything, very cheap especially with your discount and it's harder to get as a student, but you can also get discounts for places like NYX and Urban Decay. UD is one of my favorite companies because the quality of the materials from eyeshadows to brushes is out of this world. It's expensive though and hard to get a discount when you're starting out.

In short - stick with the basics for what you need with assignments and go from there. The best places to stock your kit would be LeCosmetique & NYX, in my opinion. Drug store stuff is okay, but you're better off getting stuff from LeCosmetique for a smaller price (generally speaking) and better overall quality.

Hope this helps, because it took me forever to type and think about. LOL

D.
Lady D
Makeup Artist

Unread postby Lady D » November 12th, 2012, 2:24 am

I have 2 eye shadow palettes from E.L.F. that I like, the Urban Decay Naked palette is really nice and a 180 palette I purchased several months ago on Ebay which is the equivalent to BH Cosmetics/ or Coastal Scents palettes. I recently purchased 9 different palettes from BH Cosmetics (eyeshadow & lipgloss) that are awesome. I am head over heels for the trending highly pigmented colors of eyeshadows (pan & loose) as well as the lip tars offered by OCC to which I have yet to purchase.

I use quite a bit of products from Avon; Ideal Foundations (liquid & pressed powders), Avon bronzing (pressed) powders, Avon Glimmerstick eyeliners(in all colors and types), Avon Super Extend Mascara's, UC lipsticks, Glazewear glosses, Mark pressed (Matte) powders, Mark antioxidant moisturizing face lotion, Mark Matte Chance face lotion, Mark Illuminating tri-color bronzer, Anew Clinical Illuminosity (skin brightening serum), Mark & Avon makeup brushes.

I also have a few E.L.F. brushes purchased straight from them (15pc brush set w/zippered pouch) as well as those purchased from Kmart (arched eyeliner brushes & powder brushes) and from Dollar Tree (powder & shadow brushes). I also purchased a 32pc brush set on Ebay from the same place/@ the same time I purchased the 180 color palette. My favorite of those brushes would be the fan brush (it is large and dense). The quality of the brushes are not that great, they shed a bit much for my liking however it was a steal for the price & for the beginner.

I also have a new found love for NYX products to which I have purchased half of their concealer line (the 2nd half) with the exception of the orange concealer. I also love the NYX jumbo eye pencils as I have Milk, Pots & Pans & Coffee Bean (I think that is the name). I have several NYX glosses to which French Kiss & African Queen are my favs thus far & this bold bright pink shade (I forgot the color). I love the Wet -n-Wild lipstick in 521A as it is an awesome dupe for Fashion Fair's Chocolate Raspberry (which I have used for over 20yrs). I have several L'Oreal lipstick shades (Aerial, Whisper, Fatigue, Dreamy & Blue Mood). I recently purchased some Smashbox lipglosses (in flashbulb) which I love & a photo finish lipstick in Ravishing; not my shade at all however I will depot and utilize. I purchased some MAC Studio Finish foundation and 2 cream bases (in Luna & Movie Star Red) via Beyond The Rack and they should arrive this week (I will provide my reviews). I also have a MAC blush (in Raizin) which is awesome and MAC Lipglass in Tempura & Wee Coquette...Fabulous! I also like a variety of products by Black Opal/Black Radiance (glosses and lipsticks). The Mocha Madness gloss has been at the top of my makeup agenda lately.

I also try out random brands of glosses and liners that I see in beauty supply stores as well (Jordana, Nicka K, Woo & others).
I just purchased a Makeup Kit (leopard print) from Shany Cosmetics a couple of weeks ago during their 31% off sale (Reg. price $198 & I got it for $102). I really like it, it's really jazzy however I now need the smaller one as the big one will not hold all of my stuff. The smaller would be be just for my glosses/lipsticks & brushes. :lol:
Lady D
Makeup Artist

Unread postby Lady D » November 12th, 2012, 2:36 am

Oh yeah...the finishing/setting powders from E.L.F. are awesome!! I also have their setting mist and their brush cleaners. I am awaiting delivery for my BH blending & contouring brushes, Shany Brush set, & then my Sigma Dry-n-Shape as well as my Brush Guard set from Amazon.com...I will let you all know how good or bad these products turn out. There is also another brush drying product I thought was very innovative and worthy to be added to your kit; the brush tree which is cheaper than the Sigma Dry -n-Shape and it is also something that can be utilized when traveling (http://www.benjabelle.com). :D

Blessings!
Valerie Lavoie
Makeup Artist

Unread postby Valerie Lavoie » November 20th, 2012, 1:53 am

Hey all!! I love QUO cosmetics, Lise Watier, wet n wild , NYX, Elizabeth Arden....I don't believe that just because the makeup is more expensive that it does a better job, this is why I have never really understood all the hype about certain brands.

Return to “QC Makeup Academy General Discussion”