Dealing with awkward vendors

Get the latest updates from QC including new partnerships, course updates, and job opportunities.
STaylor33

Dealing with awkward vendors

Unread postby STaylor33 » December 14th, 2018, 1:17 pm

I know I'm going to come across all different kinds of people with event planning. I accept that. But can anybody give me some advice on how to deal with the ones that are just being outright ridiculous? In some of our assignments, we need to get in touch with actual vendors to get prices for, say, Location fees. Many of them have been great to work with, especially when I tell them what I need the information for. But then there was one who, despite being told at least twice in every email I sent that I was in an event planner course and needed the information for an assignment, kept trying to get me to book the event!! I'd ask for the cost to rent the event space, and tell him it was for a school assignment, he'd ask what date I wanted. At first I thought it was because it was different between weekdays and weekends, which, as we know, many places are. I gave him a random date, again advising that I wasn't actually looking to book anything, it was just for a school assignment, and asked again for the cost of the space. He asked what time. Again, I thought it could be that certain times are cheaper than others, so I responded and reminded him again that it was for a school assignment. He FINALLY gives me a cost, then sends another email telling me that because the date I chose is coming up quickly, he needed me to confirm right away if I wanted to book for my event for 150 people. I read it a few times, asked my husband to read it, then responded by saying it was just for an assignment and I didn't need the space. He responded by telling me he understood that, but still needed to know if I was booking it. The annoying part is that this is an amazing venue and there are so many great things about it... except, apparently, for the guy you have to go through to book anything LoL So does anybody have any thoughts on what you'd do with that? Would you still recommend this venue to people? Would they be on your list, but near the bottom? Or, because it's still a great venue, would you recommend it and hope that he's NOT always so difficult to deal with and so unable to pay any attention to what a person is telling him?
brenda1137

Re: Dealing with awkward vendors

Unread postby brenda1137 » December 15th, 2018, 6:18 pm

Sounds to me like a face to face would be the best way to deal with him if actually wanting to use the space. But I would think long and hard about it before i did.
LoriRevilla

Re: Dealing with awkward vendors

Unread postby LoriRevilla » January 2nd, 2019, 10:50 am

I would thank him for his time and find another vendor who understands the difference between assignment and actual booking.

Return to “QC Event School General Discussion”